Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know I don't need to deal with this for a little while, but I thought I'd start the conversation.

My job is one of those that has different spellings between US and UK English (I work in programming - so I schedule programs or programmes - depending on the country. If I'm applying for jobs in the UK does it look wrong if I use the American spelling one of my old titles was "...Program Manager" It looks wrong to me to switch job titles to the British, but it looks even stranger to have both in the same document.

I'd love some options about which way to go with this little conundrum.

Of course if I learn enough Welsh and get a Welsh language job, it would be a moot point. But right now I only speak baby Welsh (I can play peek a boo in Welsh really well).

M

·
Registered
89 Posts
Long winded as I enjoy being, I have two answers.

If it were me (and it will be, soon enough) I'd use the spelling of the position's country for the position title, but for the position's text I'd use the spelling of the country I'm applying in. (ie. "Program Manager: I managed programmes.")

It's because I've got a mental block against renaming titles. Don't even get me started on how I nearly had a mental collapse over "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" ...

Anyway, to me, the job you were hired to do was titled Program Manager. It's a capitalized proper name and everything. But you managed programs (or programmes) which is a word with multiple regional spellings.

That being said, I'd also feel really stupid, like they didn't think I could spell. Or couldn't be arsed to obey my spell checker, whichever. Still, I couldn't bring myself to go all Sorcerer's Stone on it, either. So I'd use parentheses without explanation. I'd call myself a "Program Manager (Programme Manager)" in the title, and then the regional spelling in the text.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
In that sophisticated an employment environment HR will have the adjustment already made, recognising that US job titles are written differently (not just spelling but order as well). Work you did for a US company on US job titles/descriptions should be written on your resume as the exact way it would have appeared on your: name plate, job description on file with HR, pay stubs, etc.

Any work you are listing that used Queen's English spelling and arrangement in title, pay, etc, of course, would be written in the Queen's English.

And wow, what a great occupation-have you looked at the shortage occupations list? Look on the right hand side for the download of the list:

UK Border Agency | How to employ migrants to do jobs on the shortage occupation list

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In that sophisticated an employment environment HR will have the adjustment already made, recognising that US job titles are written differently (not just spelling but order as well). Work you did for a US company on US job titles/descriptions should be written on your resume as the exact way it would have appeared on your: name plate, job description on file with HR, pay stubs, etc.

Any work you are listing that used Queen's English spelling and arrangement in title, pay, etc, of course, would be written in the Queen's English.

And wow, what a great occupation-have you looked at the shortage occupations list? Look on the right hand side for the download of the list:

UK Border Agency | How to employ migrants to do jobs on the shortage occupation list
I wish I was in one of them, unfortunately I'm in the arts (TV to be exact). I've talked to headhunters in the UK before and have a good chance of getting a job when I get there, but I still don't want to cause people to think I don't know what I'm doing with the spelling issues.

Thanks so much for the reply.

When I eventually get to Scotland (probably not in the next year), we can go to a rugby game together (that seems the only way I'll manage to get up that way. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.