Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not seen any police speed traps on the roads since the revolution, they were active on the Ain Soknha road yesterday and a friend has reported same on the Suez Road today. It looks like the police have finally found something to do. Perhaps that's a good thing.

I wonder if we'll see the cameras on the ring road reactivated next?

·
Registered
617 Posts
you can check Bey2ollak.com (an app is also available) this site is regularly updated not only with traffic information, but also for speed traps/radars.

We check the app always before and during travelling to and from Hurghada. My son uses it everyday to check the road to his university.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Plenty of police checks in Hurghada, and ones with officers there who speak excellent English! Keep your car documents with you. Not sure about speed cameras though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I haven't noticed and heard of any speed traps in Hurghada. But on the way to Hurghada there are regularly.
BTW on the app Bey2ollak, people also give the approximate location of the speed trap.

·
Registered
617 Posts
this is one of the comments on bey2ollak.com about the road between Cairo-Hurghada:
radar 20k befor gareb hrg direction
written yesterday. Sometimes comments are written in English Arabic (Arabic written with English alphabet).

The traffic police is more active during Egyptian feasts, then a lot of Egyptians travel to the Red Sea, so they can collect a lot of money!
There were THREE speed traps during one of these days from the last feast, on the road Cairo-Hurghada. One we could avoid by taking the U-turn just before the speed trap and wait 10-15 minutes before taking the same road again!
They will check your speed from behind a small hill etc., so you can't see them in advance (my son was sitting in reverse on our second approach of the speed trap).

After that day we have found the app bey2ollak.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I met another charming Policeman today who managed to lighten my wallet. He claimed I was not allowed to turn left onto the Cornishe when leaving Maadi. Who am I to argue.:frusty:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
No English left - T junction with Cornishe so left across one carriageway and onto the other
No traffic, easy legal love me thinks !!!
Out comes nice Mr policeman from his little hut ( he was not sleeping)

So guesses on what it cost me?

Sent using ExpatForum App

·
Registered
129 Posts
No English left - T junction with Cornishe so left across one carriageway and onto the other
No traffic, easy legal love me thinks !!!
Out comes nice Mr policeman from his little hut ( he was not sleeping)

So guesses on what it cost me?

I decided to guess on yours because I got a speeding ticket today, going 46 in a 30mph zone, mine will cost about 100 USD. Another 4 miles and i would have been charged with reckless driving :rolleyes:

Yours is not major,IMO they should not charge more than 100 LE and you can always negotiate when you renew your car license.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In Egypt, or are you talking about another country?
I'm sorry I didn't mention that I got it in the US.

I know I cannot compare, but I got tickets before in Egypt without even knowing, and when I go to renew the car license, I find out that I have to pay 500LE fines.

But usually I negotiated and had to pay around 100. So, you are not asked to go to the court or anything but you can explain to the officer there why you were driving too fast, or that the sign was not clear or anything.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Before I say - what would be good ? What oK and what not so good????

It should be 1,200.00 LE? Driving the wrong way on a "one way street" in here costs that, or should I say used to cost? When there was a chance for you to get caught :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
It should be 1,200.00 LE? Driving the wrong way on a "one way street" in here costs that, or should I say used to cost? When there was a chance for you to get caught :D
1200? :eek: Is this considered a major violation? I remember people used to do that all the time esp. during rush hour.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
1200? :eek: Is this considered a major violation? I remember people used to do that all the time esp. during rush hour.
I do not own a car, simply cause I'd never drive in here! And it's been a LONG while since I actually saw a traffic officer giving a ticket! But as far as I remember the tickets go like this:

*Not using seat belts: Between 100 and 300 EGP, or 1 to 3 months in prison!

*Using mobile while driving: Between 100 and 300 EGP.

*Tinting windows and/or stickers: 50 EGP if paying right away, 100 EGP if you're gonna pay later :rolleyes:

*Driving the wrong direction: Between 1,000 and 3,000 EGP.

*Parking where you're not supposed to: License off for a month :rolleyes:

Now if the parking rule was applied.........How many people will still have their licenses in Egypt? :lol:

Reactions: GM1
1 - 20 of 43 Posts