Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Today I was driving on the elevated Financial St. towards Al Khail Road Exit, Burj Khalifa was on my right, I was on 95 KM/H on a road of 80 KM/H, I got flashed and now I am curious if this will result in a fine or not. Ideally keeping the 20 KM/H grace limit into account, I should not be flashed.

Has anyone else also experienced this on the same road?

Thanks
Varun

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Weirdly enough, you knew the speed limit was 80, so why didn't you abide by it snowflake?

I really hope the 20km/h "allowance" is removed and people are forced to slow down.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
*Fail* that's Abu Dhabi - we don't have these in Dubai.
Doesn't matter. Dubai Police advertises it on its website. I can see the temptation to be pedantic about it, but lets not argue for argument sake.

The enforcement limit is what it is. We cannot change it. Everyone drives to it. I hope none of the posters are the left lane hoggers driving at the "speed limit" and creating unsafe situations.

https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/wps/portal/home/opendata/street-speed-limits

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Doesn't matter. Dubai Police advertises it on its website. I can see the temptation to be pedantic about it, but lets not argue for argument sake.

The enforcement limit is what it is. We cannot change it. Everyone drives to it. I hope none of the posters are the left lane hoggers driving at the "speed limit" and creating unsafe situations.

https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/wps/portal/home/opendata/street-speed-limits
So, say you were doing 96 according to your Speedo, and that has an error range of around +/-10% (more if you've changed tyre sizes, put on a lift etc), then you'd have been doing over 100 anyway.

So you were speeding.

(You/r is generic not specific in this case).

Get on with it and pay up, it amuses me that people don't seem to care about financial penalties, perhaps speeding should be seen as anti-social and after say, 6 in a year you're banned for 6 months , imprisoned, or both.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
So, say you were doing 96 according to your Speedo, and that has an error range of around +/-10% (more if you've changed tyre sizes, put on a lift etc), then you'd have been doing over 100 anyway.

So you were speeding.

(You/r is generic not specific in this case).

Get on with it and pay up, it amuses me that people don't seem to care about financial penalties, perhaps speeding should be seen as anti-social and after say, 6 in a year you're banned for 6 months , imprisoned, or both.

Have fun.
I agree - if someone is breaching the radar limit, then yes, they should be fined, and the penalties should become progressively severe.

Also, Waze app (along with a number of others) is very good in giving your "true" speed ("GPS" speed) allowing people to set their cruise control at or below limits.

Also HATE people who go at higher speeds between radars and then BRAKE and crawl in front of the speed cameras.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,147 Posts
Also HATE people who go at higher speeds between radars and then BRAKE and crawl in front of the speed cameras.
Apparently average speed cameras are coming - these will nicely take care of the people that speed between cameras and then brake for each camera.
They are widely used in the UK - especially on motorways with roadworks and they have really modified drivers behaviour there!

·
Registered
864 Posts
there are also a whole whack of new cameras that have been installed on the auh side that have not been activated yet... they are on the left side pillars of the across the road overhead digital grey signs... all the "box" speed cameras on e10/11 are being decommissioned...

·
Registered
864 Posts
...I hope none of the posters are the left lane hoggers driving at the "speed limit" and creating unsafe situations...
saw a lady in a red ford fusion last month who was doing 130 in the left lane on e11 and refused to move... pretty soon she had a long line of cars kissing her bumper but would not get out of the way although there was a lot of room in the next lane... forced people to overtake her on the right...

that went on until a white c63 with four digit ad plates cut her too close in the front and she panicked, slammed on her brakes and almost caused a pile up... thankfully the cars behind her were aware enough and adjusted accordingly...

then she speeds up thinking she can catch up to the c63, probably to hysterically gesture at him with indignation, but he was long gone...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

So you were speeding.
In my experience the error is always to the other side, my last car was about 7kph under, my current vehicle 5kph under. So when I set my cruise at 140kph I am actually going 135. I usually only get passed by those dreaded between camera speeders. (how many times have I let someone pass, I pull back in the fast lane only to see brake lights and them slowing to 130kph for a speed camera nearly causing me to hit them?)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.