Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and thanks for any help,

Our problem, we are making an application for a Fiance Visa and while my job pays enough to sponsor her coming from Russia and we have clearly met etc. Accommodation is tricky.

I currently rent a room as part of a shared house, and I feel it's unlikely that my landlord or flatmates will be supportive for her staying in anyway but as a short term guest.

(my contract is up in 5 months, so I have a logical get out point to avoid high costs)

We would like to apply now, on the basis that we can then look for a flat once the application is approved for this time in 5 months, she would arrive before to help the 5 months is up, as the cost of London makes doing this ahead of the visa application far too expensive to bear even if the visa were approved :fingerscrossed:

What I can provide,

My parents are happy to write a letter stating that she/we can stay with them, in their outright owned home, until we secure a place together. But they live 6 hours drive away, although the accommodation is genuinely there and perfectly suitable.

And I can provide some sample adverts showing that there are plenty of suitable flats to rent In the area I work at short notice.. ie less than the processing time of the application itself!

I plan to outline the fact that in England it is illegal for someone to be added to a lease without a visa, so im in a chicken and egg situation in that respect. So really we must wait, else the lease will not be correct for the subsequent application.

My concern is,

Will the distance between me & my job and my parent's house be an issue?

I might potentially be able to get an offer of accommodation from a friend also, but would adding options be a bad thing in the application?! this is only a maybe, however.

Thanks so much for any help, and if anyone can point me to a document which can allay my fears on this I would be incredibly grateful.

David

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
You need to have adequate accommodation at the time of the application. Sample adverts are not adequate. There is no expectation that she should be added to the lease but you do need the landlord's permission for her to live there. Your parent's live too far away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Not what I had wanted to hear better to know I guess, I had assumed since there is no reference to distance this would have been ok as it would avoid recourse to public funds.

If we had a friend offer accommodation nearby what sort of offer should they make?
It seems hard to work out a timeline, long enough to secure a place together or the length of the visa?

A curve ball on this, if I sponsor based on cash alone would the distance still be an issue? as my job would no longer form a crucial part of the application.

Thanks again,

David

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
But the purpose of settlement visa is to live permanently together in UK. You still need to work so you will be separated from your spouse for a long time, or meet only at weekends. While they understand if employed income is crucial part of the application and there are plenty of people having to do weekly commute, they may argue deliberately going for weekly commute doesn't square with the purpose of living together.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have you tried finding a double room to rent that would be suitable for both of you before you apply? Like said before, the whole aim of the visa is for you to live together...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Thanks, perhaps I've made it unclear. I would like to apply now then sort a property together about 2 months after the visa is approved (start date). We have holidays etc. over Christmas so in effect, it will only be 3 weeks after Christmas we would be apart in this UK, the wedding would be near my parents anyway.

I'm trying to avoid the situation where I would commit to a contract for a flat at great expense only to have a refusal. In London, this would easily cost many thousands on top of visa fees.

That's my issue really, I don't want to sign an overlapping lease when the visa is not secure.
And I would like to have a visa in place for when my lease runs out.

I think perhaps a letter from a friend would solve this, or il have to wait and double down.

Questioning what a letter from a friend would say length wise is what they would like to see,
As above the reality is that it's the only 3 weeks we would be looking for a flat that is required but to say this seems a bit risky somehow.

Needing so much explanation is perhaps a demonstration enough that this isn't going to work?

Thanks again for reading this over.

David

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi,

Thanks, perhaps I've made it unclear. I would like to apply now then sort a property together about 2 months after the visa is approved (start date). We have holidays etc. over Christmas so in effect, it will only be 3 weeks after Christmas we would be apart in this UK, the wedding would be near my parents anyway.

I'm trying to avoid the situation where I would commit to a contract for a flat at great expense only to have a refusal. In London, this would easily cost many thousands on top of visa fees.

That's my issue really, I don't want to sign an overlapping lease when the visa is not secure.
And I would like to have a visa in place for when my lease runs out.

I think perhaps a letter from a friend would solve this, or il have to wait and double down.

Questioning what a letter from a friend would say length wise is what they would like to see,
As above the reality is that it's the only 3 weeks we would be looking for a flat that is required but to say this seems a bit risky somehow.

Needing so much explanation is perhaps a demonstration enough that this isn't going to work?

Thanks again for reading this over.

David
You cannot dictate to the ECO "providing a Visa is issued I will secure some accommodation"
It does not work that way, unless you want a rejection.

Bite the bullet and secure a Tenancy which can accommodate the 2 of you. Problem solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses,

Il have a think on this, what might have thrown me was this paragraph from the guidance..

"Accommodation for the couple may be prospective rather than available on arrival because the marriage or civil partnership has not yet taken place. The decision maker must be satisfied that adequate permanent accommodation will be available after the marriage or the civil partnership has taken place and that adequate temporary accommodation will be available in the meantime, e.g. provided by family or friends.

Evidence relating to the temporary address and the proposed long term address after marriage or civil partnership should be provided with the entry clearance application as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. An entry clearance application may be refused if the temporary or proposed long term address is not considered to be adequate accommodation. An application made after the marriage or civil partnership has taken place should not rely on prospective accommodation. Accommodation should not generally be prospective in child applications made under Part 8."

To fulfil the latter/permanent accommodation after the marriage understanding that temporary accommodation in the mean time is Ok. Is this bit that seems sticky as to have a rental agreement for 6 months ahead of time seems understandably unlikely to me. But I certainly get your points better to get the visa than risk it.

Thanks again

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.