Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the old joke about English speakers talk louder to be understood better, but I've noticed lately that I tend to speak much quieter and softer in English nowadays and louder in Catalan / Spanish. Also, my body language is much more dynamic in Spanish / Catalan as I try to emphasise with my hands and arms what I am saying. Because I'm tall and gangly I look like Magnus Pike (although much more handsome, of course).

Do you think I should hot foot it back to the UK before the transformation is complete, or is it normal to be so exaggerated until I get more used to the languages?

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I know the old joke about English speakers talk louder to be understood better, but I've noticed lately that I tend to speak much quieter and softer in English nowadays and louder in Catalan / Spanish. Also, my body language is much more dynamic in Spanish / Catalan as I try to emphasise with my hands and arms what I am saying. Because I'm tall and gangly I look like Magnus Pike (although much more handsome, of course).

Do you think I should hot foot it back to the UK before the transformation is complete, or is it normal to be so exaggerated until I get more used to the languages?
My English family always talk about how my body language has changed.
I don't notice it very much so it doesn't bother me, and it makes them smile so it's a win win:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My English family always talk about how my body language has changed.
I don't notice it very much so it doesn't bother me, and it makes them smile so it's a win win:)
So you're more animated now, nuts. After 25years, are you at the 'hands in pockets stage' or 'tie her down'. (See video.
)

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I certainly wave my arms around more when I'm speaking Spanish!

I once tried to give a Spanish class without doing so - I just couldn't!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I speak louder in Spanish and... swear a lot more. My husband has a potty mouth and I work in a fishing village. My "teachers" have corrupted me!
Shouting and swearing..... Is there a Spanish word for Chav?

Only joking, of course I know it is Madrileño ;-P

·
Registered
7,082 Posts

I wonder if there is something about the Spanish language that makes its speakers talk more loudly. It is very noticeable. It doesn't take more than a couple of Spanish chaps in a bar to raise quite a cacophony.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Just be yourself, don't try to change, it is our personal eccentricities that set us apart from everybody else. Yours will be different from your partner's, from the neighbours, from the others in the place where you live.

I understand that the reason we have been made more than welcome here is largely due to my determination to speak to everybody I meet in the street (this was a conscious choice, not an eccentricity) which singled me out as an individual and unlike the usual stand-offishness that most Brits here have displayed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts