Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a complete newbie here to this website, and I have a quick question that maybe some of you could help me with!

My family and I are currently moving ourselves to the UAE, after coming over for the past few years on 'extended holidays' :)

The one thing I was quite suprised with was the price of bottled sparkling water. Having lived in Europe and Canada, we are used to buying sparkling water at the price of around 50cent per litre/1.5litres (if that!). The last time I was in Dubai I remember paying something like 10 Euros for 6 bottles in the supermarket! That's crazy! Why is it so expensive over there? Does anyone know of an alternative and/or local water supplier who has a cheaper sparkling water?

Thanks in advance! Have a good day!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a complete newbie here to this website, and I have a quick question that maybe some of you could help me with!

My family and I are currently moving ourselves to the UAE, after coming over for the past few years on 'extended holidays' :)

The one thing I was quite suprised with was the price of bottled sparkling water. Having lived in Europe and Canada, we are used to buying sparkling water at the price of around 50cent per litre/1.5litres (if that!). The last time I was in Dubai I remember paying something like 10 Euros for 6 bottles in the supermarket! That's crazy! Why is it so expensive over there? Does anyone know of an alternative and/or local water supplier who has a cheaper sparkling water?

Thanks in advance! Have a good day!
You're correct regarding the sparkling water prices. This is due to it all being imported. I've yet to find a local alternative. Most of the local still bottled water is also from desalinated sources. Malsafi I believe is a natural spring sourced product.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're correct regarding the sparkling water prices. This is due to it all being imported. I've yet to find a local alternative. Most of the local still bottled water is also from desalinated sources. Malsafi I believe is a natural spring sourced product.
Al Ain water is mineral water too, not desalinated (they claim!).

Concerning sparkling water, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it but think Masafi do a sparkling water, it comes in bulb shaped bottles and if I remember correctly wasn't too expensive (compared to imported ones).

Guess you could also get one of those Soda Stream contraptions that turn flat into fizz... might be the best way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated. I find it kind of strange that local companies do not make a sparkling water...maybe no one drinks it over there! haha :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

I can't believe its been almost 2 years since I asked this question!

In the meantime I have shifted over here and have been a happy member of the Dubai community for 14 months :)

Back to the topic of my initial question and as a little update for you guys who maybe haven't heard of this...last week we had an interesting machine installed in our office in Business Bay. I don't know the exact workings of it but basically it filters tap water and you press a button and sparkling water (YES SPARKLING WATER!!) comes out of the machine! and according to my colleague who spoke to the guy installing it, we get an unlimited supply of sparkling water for a rental charge.

I looked for a company name on the machine and all I could see was a company named Sprudel which I am guessing is the company over here.

Just thought I would update you all on my findings!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hey guys,

I can't believe its been almost 2 years since I asked this question!

In the meantime I have shifted over here and have been a happy member of the Dubai community for 14 months :)

Back to the topic of my initial question and as a little update for you guys who maybe haven't heard of this...last week we had an interesting machine installed in our office in Business Bay. I don't know the exact workings of it but basically it filters tap water and you press a button and sparkling water (YES SPARKLING WATER!!) comes out of the machine! and according to my colleague who spoke to the guy installing it, we get an unlimited supply of sparkling water for a rental charge.

I looked for a company name on the machine and all I could see was a company named Sprudel which I am guessing is the company over here.

Just thought I would update you all on my findings!
But wait, there's more

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
But it's TAP WATER - fizzied - hmmm don't know if I'd be overly keen on that. :puke: Have you seen the condition of the tap water here and how it's stored for building use?

Now if it was bottled (25 litre ones) that supply the flat water then I'd be happy to quaff it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts