Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Women engineers working on the Saudi Arabian underground project

“In Saudi Arabia, you need a man” | In English | EL PAÍS
Interesting article, thanks. It's remarkable how the lives of many Spanish women have changed post-Franco days, in a relatively short time.

I've known a few women who worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years, for oil companies or in nursing. They mostly enjoyed their time there and it was certainly financially rewarding, but I don't think I could have tolerated the restrictions or the attitudes.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I couldn't live/work in those restrictive countries. Still I suppose if you are desperate for work. Saudi Arabia and other countries in that area have a reputation of treating migrants like slaves.

The Spanish do get around, there was a story in Sur yesterday about a Spanish Nurse from Coin. She went to the UK with the intention of staying a year for experience and improving her language skills. She is still there after 6 years.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I couldn't live/work in those restrictive countries. Still I suppose if you are desperate for work. Saudi Arabia and other countries in that area have a reputation of treating migrants like slaves.

The Spanish do get around, there was a story in Sur yesterday about a Spanish Nurse from Coin. She went to the UK with the intention of staying a year for experience and improving her language skills. She is still there after 6 years.
The women I knew who went to Saudi weren't desperate for work, they already had decent jobs in the UK but could earn much more, and the salaries were tax free, in Saudi. They only tended to stay around 5 years then could come back and put a large deposit down to buy their own property.

I saw the article about the Spanish nurse, she seemed very happy working in the NHS as a midwife, and said the shift system allowed her plenty of time for enjoying herself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We know several Spanish who have gone to the UK to work. Just yesterday a Spanish friend whose cousin has gone to London to work said that the English come here to retire and the Spanish go to England to work! Signs of the times!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
We know several Spanish who have gone to the UK to work. Just yesterday a Spanish friend whose cousin has gone to London to work said that the English come here to retire and the Spanish go to England to work! Signs of the times!
Last time I looked they'd given out 258,000 national insurance numbers to Spanish nationals in the UK.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Last time I looked they'd given out 258,000 national insurance numbers to Spanish nationals in the UK.
Do you know what time period that covers? The past year, or for all time? I read a few months ago that there were about 70,000 currently working in the UK, but more are going all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts