Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4625b188-e818-11e4-9960-00144feab7de.html#ixzz3YUyxYhFJ

Being an FT article, you'll probably need a subscription to view it.

It seems state intervention has got so bad now that RTVE journalists have sent a delegation to Brussels.

Some believe the controversy at TVE is symptomatic of a much broader problem in Spain. Analysts such as Victor Lapuente, a governance expert at Gothenburg university, argue that far too many of Spain’s public institutions — from the judiciary and the prosecution service to the civil service and state-backed media — are made to serve the interests of the government of the day.

“The prevailing culture in Spain is that the victor should enjoy the spoils,” he says, pointing out that “thousands of positions” change hands whenever a new government is elected. “But the problem is not just that people are hired or fired — the problem is that civil servants know that being politically neutral will not help their career prospects.”

·
Registered
15,741 Posts
I agree. It's the same with the autonomous channels like Canal Sur which is manipulated by whoever runs the Junta de Andalucía (notable during the recent election campaign when the Podemos and Ciudadanos candidates were practically invisible). That's why I prefer the independent channels like La Sexta or Cuatro for domestic news and current affairs programmes.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Chopera It seems state intervention has got so bad now that RTVE journalists have sent a delegation to Brussels.

No surprises there!

TeleMadrid receives constant criticism too.

I am surprised though that the journalists have got up a delegation to send to Brussels - Good for them!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts