Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spain's Princess Cristina is a princess no more after the King stripped her of her royal title. Cristina and her husband are accused of tax evasion and fraud, and they will soon appear in court to defend themselves.

That might be a first. Most people accused of tax evasion, if found guilty, lose some money and occasionally (e.g. Wesley Snipes) lose their freedom for a period of time. Losing a royal title is a bit novel, and Cristina is only charged not convicted.

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
Spain's Princess Cristina is a princess no more after the King stripped her of her royal title. Cristina and her husband are accused of tax evasion and fraud, and they will soon appear in court to defend themselves.

That might be a first. Most people accused of tax evasion, if found guilty, lose some money and occasionally (e.g. Wesley Snipes) lose their freedom for a period of time. Losing a royal title is a bit novel, and Cristina is only charged not convicted.
well the BBC got that a bit wrong

she wasn't, strictly speaking, a princesa in the first place, she was ( & still is) an infanta

& she has lost her 'Duquesa de Palma' title

there are reports in the Spanish press that she might have actually renounced the title as opposed to have been stripped of it- as briefly mentioned in your link

La Infanta afirma que fue ella quien renunci? por carta al ducado de Palma pero Zarzuela lo niega | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
The very idea that anyone in a democracy could have a 'title' other than the usual courteous forms of address (Mr./Mrs. according to nationality) is absurd.
Forms of address such as 'Your Majesty', 'Your Royal Highness' and such falderol are laughable, like something out of a pantomime.
I don't care what she or any 'royal' should be called. It seems though as if 'criminal' might be the appropriate appellation.
When Queen Elizabeth dies I shall be a republican.
It's not 'monarchy', it's Hollywood.
Naff and tacky.

·
Registered
15,898 Posts

she wasn't, strictly speaking, a princesa in the first place, she was ( & still is) an infanta

there are reports in the Spanish press that she might have actually renounced the title as opposed to have been stripped of it- as briefly mentioned in your link

La Infanta afirma que fue ella quien renunci? por carta al ducado de Palma pero Zarzuela lo niega | Espa?a | EL MUNDO
She and her four children will keep their position in the line of succession to the throne. So it's really just a gesture to show that the royals are taking a hard line on corruption. A sacrificial lamb, poor Cristina, my heart bleeds for her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
The very idea that anyone in a democracy could have a 'title' other than the usual courteous forms of address (Mr./Mrs. according to nationality) is absurd.
Forms of address such as 'Your Majesty', 'Your Royal Highness' and such falderol are laughable, like something out of a pantomime.
I don't care what she or any 'royal' should be called. It seems though as if 'criminal' might be the appropriate appellation.
When Queen Elizabeth dies I shall be a republican.
It's not 'monarchy', it's Hollywood.
Naff and tacky.
Well many think it's absurd and laughable, but Spain does still have a monarchy and that is very much part of Spain today. Not so much for the power and influence that it has which of course it doesn't, but for its dismantling and fall which is being recorded every year.
This also relates to politics (which politicians have/ had a closer relation to the royal family), corruption inevitably, not only Cristina, but how much was the former King involved (we'll probably never know) the church, and public money.

The royal families both British and Spanish do not interest me as such in the least, but what they have done to their countries (not their influence exactly) does.

·
Registered
19,436 Posts

The BBC story must have been changed because it now states that she has lost her Duchess title, not princess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts