Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here :)

My husband and I are moving to Majorca in February next year and we both need to make a will. We could make it here which will be sufficient if our permanent address was going to be in the UK. Seeing as we're moving to Majorca in February though, I'm thinking that a Spanish will would be more relevant.

If I was to make a will in the UK would it be legal when we move to Majorca or should we wait until February and do it once in Majorca? Or do one in the UK and amend it when we move?

Sorry, so many questions! I have tried to find answers online but can't seem to find answers relating to my situation.

Many thanks in advance!
Louise

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
If you have assets in both countries, then it is probably best to have a will each and in both countries.

Make sure that each will makes mention of the existence of the other.

If you only have assets in Spain, then get a Spanish will.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
If you have assets in both countries, then it is probably best to have a will each and in both countries.

Make sure that each will makes mention of the existence of the other.

If you only have assets in Spain, then get a Spanish will.
The above is exactly what we did, the local Notarios office did ours for us, we have assets in both countries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your responses...

We have savings in the UK but none in Spain as yet (hopefully we will after moving there in February though) :)

I think maybe just do one for the UK and then do another in Spain after we've got a bit to actually give ;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
As always have a will in the country to which assets are domiciled - UK assets = UK will. Spanish assets = Spanish will.

In Spain you can have a will based on the law of the country of your nationality which means if you were born in the UK other than in Scotland you can leave your Assets to whomsoever you wish. If you were born in Scotland it is much more complex since Scottish law says that certain heirs have rights that must be considered before anything else. Spanish law is similar (but different) to Scottish. Under Spanish law you cannot write your ungrateful profligate son/daughter out of your will which you can in England!

Under Spanish Notarial Rule 6 you can have your will made out in two columns (one in Spanish, the other in English) one being a translation of the other. Wills made in Spain are held at the central registry in Madrid and another copy with the Notary so there should never arise the situation where a will cannot be found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts