Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Spanish player, Garbiñe Muguruza, has just reached the Wimbledon Ladies Singles Final. I'd never heard of her before today, but she played really well and best of all without a trace of the revolting grunting and screaming we're about to be treated to by Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.

I'll be cheering for her on Saturday!:)

·
Registered
913 Posts
A Spanish player, Garbiñe Muguruza, has just reached the Wimbledon Ladies Singles Final. I'd never heard of her before today, but she played really well and best of all without a trace of the revolting grunting and screaming we're about to be treated to by Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.

I'll be cheering for her on Saturday!:)
I doubt she will win because Serena is just about unbeatable at the moment. I just hope she does well and that it is not another walk over like the Williams Sharapova semi.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt she will win because Serena is just about unbeatable at the moment. I just hope she does well and that it is not another walk over like the Williams Sharapova semi.
I have to agree, the women's matches have become very one-sided since the Williams sisters came on the scene (in tournaments which they actually play, that is). That's not to take anything away from them, they are both fantastic players and if they can do it, so could others.

Anyway Garbiñe has done very well to get to the final and I wish her luck tomorrow. She came across as a very nice girl when interviewed after her match.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have friends in London that just adore the Tour. It beats me, cos a bunch of sweaty anything, leaves me cold. I think it is each to his own.
My husband loves it, but when it's on TV I watch the scenery instead, it's more interesting to me than the cycling. We had a race start in our town last year in which Bradley Wiggins was riding, he went along to see it but I wouldn't go to the foot of our stairs (as we say in Lancashire:D) to see a cycle race.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is not really Spanish, is she?
Originally from Venezuela but now Spanish. Mo Farah was from Somalia but is now British, I certainly cheer for him as a British athlete when he's winning double Gold medals at the Olympics and World Championships.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't you want her to be Spanish?:confused: If she calls herself Spanish and has Spanish citizenship and all the newspapers are saying she is Spain's first woman finalist since XXXX, that's good enough surely?
It was good enough for Conchita Martinez, the last Spanish Wimbledon singles winner, who sent her a congratulatory text after her semi final win, so she said in her post match interview.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
My husband loves it, but when it's on TV I watch the scenery instead, it's more interesting to me than the cycling. We had a race start in our town last year in which Bradley Wiggins was riding, he went along to see it but I wouldn't go to the foot of our stairs (as we say in Lancashire:D) to see a cycle race.
Yup the scenery plays a huge part in the TDF, and indeed all the tours. I love it. But you need to know which stages to watch out for - usually the mountain stages. Col de Tourmalet next Wednesday should be a cracker.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Don't you want her to be Spanish?:confused: If she calls herself Spanish and has Spanish citizenship and all the newspapers are saying she is Spain's first woman finalist since XXXX, that's good enough surely?
Nationality is as fluid as sexuality these days.

Andy Murray is British when he's winning. Otherwise he's Scottish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find the comment likening nationality to sexuality slightly puzzling (as a "white heterosexual middle aged male"). Nationality can be a choice, sexuality isn't really, that is my understanding, anyway.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nationality is as fluid as sexuality these days.

Andy Murray is British when he's winning. Otherwise he's Scottish.
As Garbiñe has lived in Spain since she was six, she's not really to be compared to the likes of, say, Zola Budd, who change nationality simply for expedience, is she? The USA never seemed to have a problem with Martina Navratilova, I wonder if Australia considers Nick Kyrgios "not really Australian"?

·
Registered
881 Posts
She is not really Spanish, no matter how many years she has lived in Spain or whether her dad is Basque or Sevillano. She was born in Venezuela to a Venezuelan mum and lived there the first few years of her life. If it was Arantxa or Conchita, then we would be rooting for her, but hey! I wish her luck. She'll need it.

I have a British Passport and I will never ever consider myself British at all, never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I find the comment likening nationality to sexuality slightly puzzling (as a "white heterosexual middle aged male"). Nationality can be a choice, sexuality isn't really, that is my understanding, anyway.
My comment wasn't meant to be analysed too deeply.;)

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh well, as expected Garbiñe lost but I thought she gave a pretty good account of herself especially as it was her first Grand Slam final. At 21 she will have other chances and must be a good prospect for the future.

Congratulations to Serena, six Wimbledon titles is an amazing record.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts