Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hope you can help me because I am really struggling.

I am just about to set up as self-employed in Spain as that is where my husband and home are but am going to be consulting and charging companies in London. I will fly to London on a Monday morning and leave on Friday evening. This means I am in the UK over 183 days per annum. I need to do it this way so I can put my hotels and travel through my books and therefore get taxed on the remainder. I am happy to pay any tax I am liable for in both countries under the double taxation agreements.

My question is, is this legal? I don't want to break the laws in either country.

Thank you, Amy

:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
If in doubt, fill in a Spanish tax return annually, declaring all income and tax paid in the U.K., also contact the inland revenue in the U.K. for advice, they can be helpful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

I am sure an expert will be along soon but as you don´t have a permanent place in the UK then I would see the argument that Spain would say your centre is in Spain - so they want your money!!!

I suggest you contact a financial advisor like Blevins Franks (I have no connection to the company save that I use them).

Davexf

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you end up being Spain based make sure you get clarity on the IVA (VAT) aspect. I have been trying to get clarity on this for my Spanish step daughter and despite several communications with Hacienda and independent experts a deep smog has set in :cool:

Good luck and please do let us know how it ends up :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts