Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
36,525 Posts
I wanted to have a look to understand which areas are safer so I started googling for stats...maybe you can add your own experiences, thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/w...es-spains-farmers-patrol-their-land.html?_r=0

Crime trends in detail - Statistics Explained

Crime statistics - Statistics Explained

there isn't much in the way of major crime - mostly it's 'petty' crime & crime of opportunity

certainly there seems to be an increase in house burglaries of empty properties & robberies from cars

someone I know was burgled while they were away - only cash & small, easily sell-able things were taken

a very expensive watch was left behind - maybe it would have been too difficult to sell?

general feeling is that it's robbery for survival rather than anything 'organised'

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, keep your purses/wallets close to you at all times !!

I have had my purse removed from my closed bag, since I moved here in February & am now very aware of this type of opportunist crime.

Last year, when on holiday, in Fuengirola - my beach bag was stolen. It was right beside my sun bed. I was awake & reading & never saw a thing !!

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
I watch the local news for Cadiz province every night and there definitely seems to be an increase in petty theft and burglaries compared to six years ago. Drug smuggling is at epidemic proportions. Theft accompanied by violence is still extremely rare, but not unheard of.

Several visiting friends have had valuables nicked on the beach while they were swimming. They seem to think that Spain is "safer" than the UK, and they can be more relaxed about leaving their belongings unattended. This is nonsense, you have to use a bit of common sense wherever you are in the world.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
oh everyone knows that the UK is not safe.
I have to disagree - the UK is very safe, but then it all depends where you are.

Central London is probably not as safe as in a small village in the Cotswolds.

Same in Spain. The South coast is probably not as safe as an inland village.

Overall, I suspect that Spain is safer than UK (England).

In all the time that we've been here I've only heard of a couple of problems and in those, nothing much of value was taken.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
One cannot rely on statistics, when deciding if a place is safe to live, most crime committed is not reported, and some crimes that are reported are not recorded.

You can tell when a place is safe, people leave their handbags, phones on the bar when going to the bathroom or outside for a smoke, people leave the keys in the ignition and engine running whilst away from their vehicles. Children play safely without fear and are unsupervised.

·
Administrator
36,525 Posts
there isn't much in the way of major crime - mostly it's 'petty' crime & crime of opportunity

certainly there seems to be an increase in house burglaries of empty properties & robberies from cars

someone I know was burgled while they were away - only cash & small, easily sell-able things were taken

a very expensive watch was left behind - maybe it would have been too difficult to sell?

general feeling is that it's robbery for survival rather than anything 'organised'
& it's official too :)

at least in my town

Recorded crime rate in Jávea is 8 points down for 2013 | José Chulvi

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can tell when a place is safe, people leave their handbags, phones on the bar when going to the bathroom or outside for a smoke, people leave the keys in the ignition and engine running whilst away from their vehicles. Children play safely without fear and are unsupervised.
I have problem finding such place. Where children play safely without fear and are unsupervised, then no car and bar, and vice versa.

·
Administrator
36,525 Posts
I have problem finding such place. Where children play safely without fear and are unsupervised, then no car and bar, and vice versa.

children play safely & without fear with little to no supervision here, outside bars next to roads.........

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
oh everyone knows that the UK is not safe.
Neither is Italy, the only country apart from Spain where I have actually been robbed and where even more than in Spain corruption and organized crime are rife.

But then Italy did have Berlusconi as it's elected PM.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
I'd like to say it's only where I live - but it isn't

I think it's a culture thing - everyone looks out for everyone else's children, the older children look out for the little ones
It's the same here too. We have several areas in the village where children can play safely while their parents sit at an adjacent bar and have a drink and a chat. Very civilised!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We would consider this village to be safe and kids (even under 10s) are about as late as 9 or 10pm on their way home from classes/ band practice/ football practice/ etc. with no problems. Occasionally the odd pickpockets (often with the clipboard trick) will drift in briefly and out again without getting much.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Only petty theft around here mostly and children play safely until midnight - not our boy, we are sticking, at least for now, to UK bedtime rules. In the villages front doors are usually open, cars are never locked and it basically feels safe. Certainly much safer that the leafy Surrey town we left where robberies, muggings, stabbings and murder was pretty much commonplace.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Crime overall in Spain is no different to most countries i have lived in....but...but petty crime is a pain in backside. The only problem I have with Spain is petty crime, (that and my inability to speak the language) handbag, wallet, breaking and entry, property and car, mobiles off tables,etc etc.

In spain the media have a different view on what to and not to report as news which does give a slanted view on Spain. There are certain crimes that are very rare in Spain (and Portugal) because they do not get reported.

There is no way it can be compared with the UK (referring to the bucket and spade areas of spain)

sorry if it upsets those living the dream and lifestyle but its true, after 19 years its not getter better or worse it just is.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts