Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are hopping over to Spain for a day tomorrow and are hoping to do a little shopping while we are there. Just wondering if anyone has done this before in Irun and if so, where would you recommend going?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
The french basque/ Spanish border is well known in france for its cheap price, when i was a kid i often did shop there with my parents.

"Las ventas" at Ibardin(col) are quite good and the landscape is stunning.
You can also go to Dancharia and Arnéguy.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I've been there, but went with family and didn't take any notice of where I was shopping. Try checking with your neighbours. If you're not a smoker and you have a neighbour who is, expect to be asked to bring cigarettes back :)

Alcohol, tobacco products and food are all generally much cheaper there, irrespective of where you shop. If you are purchasing alcohol or tobacco, make sure you stay within the allowance as they are doing far more checks now.

It's well worth thinking about making it a bit of a touring day, taking different routes there and back - the landscapes are stunning, especially if you get off the major road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been there, but went with family and didn't take any notice of where I was shopping. Try checking with your neighbours. If you're not a smoker and you have a neighbour who is, expect to be asked to bring cigarettes back :)

Alcohol, tobacco products and food are all generally much cheaper there, irrespective of where you shop. If you are purchasing alcohol or tobacco, make sure you stay within the allowance as they are doing far more checks now.

It's well worth thinking about making it a bit of a touring day, taking different routes there and back - the landscapes are stunning, especially if you get off the major road.
Definitively a place to check yeah.
there is a mountain named "La rhune" next to Ibardin, you can climb it by feet or by train (its a very well known trek, the feet way is extremely pleasant to do, you'll meet animals, water spots, history... )
Once you're up there there's a restaurant which has a side of it that is basically a fall at 90 degres, so the view while eating is quite unique :D

Something to check if you're around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts