Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of people say that the Spanish don't mind the British influx at all, but I've had a few of experiences in my limited travels in Spain so far that suggests to me thats not entirely true.

For example, I was getting my bag x-rayed in the entrance to one of the museums in Madrid and was slightly flumexed when spoken to in rapid fire Spanish. After picking up my bag when it came out the scanner one of the security barked nastilly 'Learn Spanish'. That was a bit unpleasant as I spend 2 hours each day learning Spanish and have no intention of being the type of Brit who has no wish to integrate.

Mayby I'm oversensitive or mayby I've just been unlucky but I'm a little bit worried after reading about the Lewis Hamilton affair. I'm not a PC fanatic but there are some legal and social protections against racism in Spain aren't there?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I think the Spanish embrace the British, afterall, it was the tourism industry that really kicked off their ecconomy. However, we must try to intergrate into their way of life and the first thing to do is to learn their language - even if you just try to start with. I've found them great, friendly and kind - even the nasty policeman who nearly gave me a parking ticket the other day !!!!

I used to feel like that when I lived in the UK, I'd get quite irritated if immigrants didnt try to be british and speak the language.

Thats what I like about Spain, they dont try to ammend their ways, culture and life to be like immigrants, we have to conform or go back to the UK!

As for PC and racism protection - I havent seen any thankfully!! They say what they think here - freedom of speach and long may it continue

Jo

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
If you come here expecting the Spanish to bend to your whims, dont bother to even attempt to speak the language or you behave like an idiot then you aren't going to be made as welcome as you would like to.

If, however, you make the effort and treat the Spanish with respect you will get better results.

I have seen only friendlyness and helpfulness from the Spanisgh around here. Even my neighbour helped me carry 1400 bricks we had delivered down a flight of steps to my villa ..... we were carrying them down and him and his wife just came out and started carrying them. Took hours!

So .... in conclusion, your attitude will be the key :)

·
Banned
526 Posts
I've read a lot of people say that the Spanish don't mind the British influx at all, but I've had a few of experiences in my limited travels in Spain so far that suggests to me thats not entirely true.

For example, I was getting my bag x-rayed in the entrance to one of the museums in Madrid and was slightly flumexed when spoken to in rapid fire Spanish. After picking up my bag when it came out the scanner one of the security barked nastilly 'Learn Spanish'. That was a bit unpleasant as I spend 2 hours each day learning Spanish and have no intention of being the type of Brit who has no wish to integrate.

Mayby I'm oversensitive or mayby I've just been unlucky but I'm a little bit worried after reading about the Lewis Hamilton affair. I'm not a PC fanatic but there are some legal and social protections against racism in Spain aren't there?
I have noticed a little of both reactions from the Spanish , Some are friendly happy and have the time for you .specially after you have spent money with them maybe :D
Some are so evidently anti Brit and resent the fact that we have made there Propertys go up in price and subsequently out of there range ,
then there is a certain ammount of anger when there previous cute quiet little towns are besieged by Drunken 4x4 driving Brits flashing around with there footie shirts, tattoos and Gold plated necklaces shouting Manuel at the top of there voices at the waiters til the early hours etc..

The police hate the brits due to all the drunken fights night after night .

So a mixed bag really and being honest i wouldnt blame them for feeling this way .. I normally find once i have got to know a few they mellow and are really nice people under the initial exterior :)

Mind you i dont have tattoos or footie shirts or gold necklaces and ear piercings etc etc :D So i look more german maybe ,dress with style and a touch of class :rolleyes:

Also with my unique style of Spanish speaking , i honestly believe the fact you try gets that initial meet of to a good start , they do appreciate it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think as an Englishman living in France, you have to mingle, bring people to your house, try, try and try again - After all there are some real asses in the UK as well who speak like that to Tourists or people who've moved from Spain to the UK.

I found that the best thing to do was go and play boules with the French and mingle that way - Mind you they take that game so seriously though :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you come here expecting the Spanish to bend to your whims, dont bother to even attempt to speak the language or you behave like an idiot then you aren't going to be made as welcome as you would like to.

If, however, you make the effort and treat the Spanish with respect you will get better results.

I have seen only friendlyness and helpfulness from the Spanisgh around here. Even my neighbour helped me carry 1400 bricks we had delivered down a flight of steps to my villa ..... we were carrying them down and him and his wife just came out and started carrying them. Took hours!

So .... in conclusion, your attitude will be the key :)
That is so very true!

We have been here two and a half years and we have never had a problem with the Spanish yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Th Spanish are like all others, respect them and you get the same back. after all the amout of money brits pour into spain i think by now we have saved many islands that would have allmost died out.
While i am here, im off to Dubai soon (2 weeks) as a senior construction manager, my wife is indonesian and we have been married 7 years, she is Muslim<< do you see me having any problems with this??

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Th Spanish are like all others, respect them and you get the same back. after all the amout of money brits pour into spain i think by now we have saved many islands that would have allmost died out.
While i am here, im off to Dubai soon (2 weeks) as a senior construction manager, my wife is indonesian and we have been married 7 years, she is Muslim<< do you see me having any problems with this??

Cheers

Tony
Do you mean your wife being a muslim in Dubai might be a problem?

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is so very true!

We have been here two and a half years and we have never had a problem with the Spanish yet.

And it so strange really, given that you and your lesbian lover are accepted so readily in such a male dominated society........

Commendable really.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.