Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I get copies of Spanish online newspapers sent to my work email each day, along with other Countries, as I use them for my job. This article was posted today showing how the recession is having an impact on the number of Hotels that will possibly close over the Winter. Some Hotels have always closed during this period of course - but the majority on the Costa´s usually stay open.

I highighted another thing to me - I have seen a lot of posts in recent months, on the Spain forum and others where people are asking "has the recession reached Spain / Italy / Cyprus yet"? or ... "because of the recession in the UK we are thikning of moving overseas" .....Im surprised sometimes that people in the UK dont always seem to be aware that the recession is Worldwide and not just in the UK! it made me wonder if we could consider a Thread specific to the recession here in spain, with articles, figures, comments on the employment / house prices / changes to usual policy such as the article below.

Im conscious that we wouldnt want to create a huge negative thread here! but a realistic one that we could perhaps direct people to for specific facts on the recession??

Any thoughts
Sue xxx

Unions fear that lay offs and closures could be even greater

The Costa del Sol Hoteliers Association, AEHCOS, has said it expects a quarter of the hotels on the coast to close over the winter, while the union CCOO fears that temporary ERE lay-offs in the sector could lead to 35% of hotels closing. Most are expected to do so from November until just before Easter.

AEHCOS represents 350 hotels on the coast with some 88,000 beds.

The fall is expected despite the efforts of the Junta de Andalucía to make the Costa del Sol a less-seasonal destination for tourists.
One bright spark for tourism came yesterday when 8,000 tourists poured off four large cruise liners in Málaga port.

Most of the tourists remained in Málaga, while a reduced number took off on coach trips to Marbella, Granada, Mijas and Nerja. It has been calculated that 400,000 € was spent on the coast in just a few hours, at an average spend of 50 € per head.
TypicallySpanish 23.09.09

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Hi all

I get copies of Spanish online newspapers sent to my work email each day, along with other Countries, as I use them for my job. This article was posted today showing how the recession is having an impact on the number of Hotels that will possibly close over the Winter. Some Hotels have always closed during this period of course - but the majority on the Costa´s usually stay open.

I highighted another thing to me - I have seen a lot of posts in recent months, on the Spain forum and others where people are asking "has the recession reached Spain / Italy / Cyprus yet"? or ... "because of the recession in the UK we are thikning of moving overseas" .....Im surprised sometimes that people in the UK dont always seem to be aware that the recession is Worldwide and not just in the UK! it made me wonder if we could consider a Thread specific to the recession here in spain, with articles, figures, comments on the employment / house prices / changes to usual policy such as the article below.
I've always found the British news very shallow. Large areas of the world seemingly don't exist in UK newsrooms and very often the news is about the UK and Europe (one huge land mass not very clearly defined) and the rest of the world is basically the USA. News is very much centered on Brits and celebreties (who are normally Brits), so it's not surprising that people don't know what's going on in the outside (real?) world.:)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts too Pesky ... which is why I thought we could consider a "library" of news articles / facts & figures relating to the current situation - Spanish news articles!!!!!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I've always found the British news very shallow. Large areas of the world seemingly don't exist in UK newsrooms and very often the news is about the UK and Europe (one huge land mass not very clearly defined) and the rest of the world is basically the USA. News is very much centered on Brits and celebreties (who are normally Brits), so it's not surprising that people don't know what's going on in the outside (real?) world.:)
I think the British media is totally manipulative, biased and has helped CAUSE many a catastrophy! They sensationalise and turn a drama into a crisis. I dont even listen to it anymore cos it makes me cross!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
527 Posts
here's an interesting web site!
Spain Economy Watch
Look's like some serious economists (is that a mixed metaphor) are discussing amongst themselves. Don't just read the article, read the comments that follow.

We're dooomed I tell ye, doooomed!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spain Economy Watch
Look's like some serious economists (is that a mixed metaphor) are discussing amongst themselves. Don't just read the article, read the comments that follow.

Certainly a chirpy article and comments to enjoy reading whilst eating my salad lunch!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im relying on my ability to "wish" all this bad stuff away! ..... the current crisis and the doom and gloom have made me revert back to being 6 years old and thinking if I dont step on the cracks in the pavement whilst skipping to the shops I will have good luck for always! .... It always worked for me when I was six!!! But as a 47 year old in a business suit - I now look pretty ridiculous skipping to the railway station every evening! But Ill give it a go!

Sue xx :love:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Certainly a chirpy article and comments to enjoy reading whilst eating my salad lunch!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im relying on my ability to "wish" all this bad stuff away! ..... the current crisis and the doom and gloom have made me revert back to being 6 years old and thinking if I dont step on the cracks in the pavement whilst skipping to the shops I will have good luck for always! .... It always worked for me when I was six!!! But as a 47 year old in a business suit - I now look pretty ridiculous skipping to the railway station every evening! But Ill give it a go!

The interesting thing about the 1st article is that 3 million unsold properties have now shrunk to 1.67 million (because the remainder haven't been built and probably won't be built). That's what I call instant down sizing.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you Sue, cos with all the so called experts who all have the answers (NOT) and each and every one has a different answer, the only way is to try and ignore it until it goes away! Theres nowt we can do or say!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you Sue, cos with all the so called experts who all have the answers (NOT) and each and every one has a different answer, the only way is to try and ignore it until it goes away! Theres nowt we can do or say!

Jo xxx
Burying ones head in the sand!!:eek: The answer is manufacture and export - even though nobody wants to buy.:confused:
I think I'll buy an allotments and produce my own food, just like my parents did after WW2.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burying ones head in the sand!!:eek: The answer is manufacture and export - even though nobody wants to buy.:confused:
I think I'll buy an allotments and produce my own food, just like my parents did after WW2.
Burying head in sand seems a better option for me personally as Im not particularly good on the manufacturing and exporting front! although I bake a lovely chocolate cake !!!

Sue :love:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Spain Economy Watch

Here's a wako theory.... What if there are far bigger issues being manipulated here. I'm not saying that the crisis was engineered to meet the goals of the European Demigods, but what if it isn't as bad news to them as it would seem to the rest of us. Every cloud and all that!!

Consider this - when Arnie went to Obama and said similar things about California recently, did we see similar paralysis by analysis from the other states? No, of course not, it's one country isn't it?!;)

Is the United States of Europe one possible solution to this mess ?

We're partly there already aren't we?

I'm not entirely sold on the idea but clearly most of the current problems exist and are highlighted by border issues. With more than 130 protectionism laws passed in the last year by independent governments in the EU, when everyone's saying that protectionism is the last thing we need, the US of E might be the only sour pill left at the end of all this.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a wako theory.... What if there are far bigger issues being manipulated here. I'm not saying that the crisis was engineered to meet the goals of the European Demigods, but what if it isn't as bad news to them as it would seem to the rest of us. Every cloud and all that!!

Consider this - when Arnie went to Obama and said similar things about California recently, did we see similar paralysis by analysis from the other states? No, of course not, it's one country isn't it?!;)

I'm not entirely sold on the idea but clearly most of the current problems exist and are highlighted by border issues. With more than 130 protectionism laws passed in the last year by independent governments in the EU, when everyone's saying that protectionism is the last thing we need, the US of E might be the only sour pill left at the end of all this.
Xose - you say you arent suggesting that the crisis was engineered, but then comment about issues being manipulated .... :confused: Do you really believe that the powers that be are capable of such manipulation ? Despite a lot of talk of closer ties within the EU, I still think there is massive opposition to full on co-operation from many Countries .... both politically and at street level ... and given how much they seem to disagree on so many issues - Im not convinced they are capable of "working together" to manipulate this current situation....they cant even agree on the curvature of bananas!

Sue :ranger:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Xose - you say you arent suggesting that the crisis was engineered, but then comment about issues being manipulated .... :confused: Do you really believe that the powers that be are capable of such manipulation ? Despite a lot of talk of closer ties within the EU, I still think there is massive opposition to full on co-operation from many Countries .... both politically and at street level ... and given how much they seem to disagree on so many issues - Im not convinced they are capable of "working together" to manipulate this current situation....they cant even agree on the curvature of bananas!

Sue :ranger:
That which is not engineered can still be manipulated if it suits - can't it?

As I said, not something I would particularly look forward to, specially as I can see roughly how the cake would be cut. But the key will be what options are available when the time comes. One thing's for sure, the curvature of bananas is no longer item one on any agenda in Brussels!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That which is not engineered can still be manipulated if it suits - can't it?
As I said, not something I would particularly look forward to, specially as I can see roughly how the cake would be cut. But the key will be what options are available when the time comes. One thing's for sure, the curvature of bananas is no longer item one on any agenda in Brussels!
sure it can .... Im just cynical as to who has the capability within the EU to do this, but maybe that just because although I agree in principal with what the EU "could" stand for and therefore be of potential benefit if it worked.... I have little confidence in the EUs ability to be so cohesive as to make anything work!

At least the banana issue made me smile! which the current situation fails to do! ;)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

My husband said the same thing, a hidden agenda for the "United State of Europe" with Germany riding the helm, because they'd assume the role of bailing everyone else out!?!! I always thought that that was the point of the Euro in the first place

Jo xxx

·
Registered
527 Posts
Burying head in sand seems a better option for me personally as Im not particularly good on the manufacturing and exporting front! although I bake a lovely chocolate cake !!!

Sue :love:
Ms Sue Kipling makes 'exceedingly good cakes' (... with apologies)

·
Registered
527 Posts

Maybe we should copy 'The mouse that roared'; Declare war on the USA, invade them and then immediately surrender. At the peace treaty they will hand us an open cheque which can be called the 'Obama Plan':clap2:
On the other hand we can apply to be the next State of the USA, aparently Puerto Rico keep declining invitations to join the US of A.
But on a more serious note the difference between EU and USA, imo, is the problem with nationalities their heritage and language (theoretically the language of USA is English, although as a matter of interest it isn't official:confused:)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
But on a more serious note the difference between EU and USA, imo, is the problem with nationalities their heritage and language (theoretically the language of USA is English, although as a matter of interest it isn't official:confused:)
Its a problem, but who says it has to be the exact same template as the USA?? Its evolving in a completely different way! I'm not saying its right or that it would be easy, but the alternatives aint much fun!? If this was to happen, I wonder where the UK would stand??

Jo xx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ms Sue Kipling makes 'exceedingly good cakes' (... with apologies)
Ill bake one soon J and post photos of it on here! :D:D its the closest I can get to "sharing" it ! xx

·
Registered
499 Posts
Maybe we should copy 'The mouse that roared'; Declare war on the USA, invade them and then immediately surrender. At the peace treaty they will hand us an open cheque which can be called the 'Obama Plan':clap2:
On the other hand we can apply to be the next State of the USA, aparently Puerto Rico keep declining invitations to join the US of A.
Next State of the USA?? US of E would be something the USA don't want. The single EU Economy would be quite impressive. It would also be the end of the single world super power. No, I'm fairly convinced that the last thing the USA want to see is a US of E.

As for feasibility due to languages etc., remember the Alamo - they spoke Spanish didn't they :D - now Texas I believe. Same for Florida, California etc., etc. Also, I don't think Hawaii spoke English.

In any case, of course it'll happen. May be sooner, later or much later, but clearly it is going to happen.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.