Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently you just need an NHS certificate to enter Spain now, with the Spanish health locator form no longer necessary.

Is it the border / passport police now looking at these certificates or a second line of staff? Imagine the queues if border police are doing this!

So just curious if anyone has travelled recently and how it works.

Our experience flying to Malaga a while ago was border police did passports then in the baggage collection another set of staff checked the locator form. Is this still in place for all COVID documents?

And given news of delays in Dover, I'm curious how they do it there when you usually just hand passport through the car window. Are French police also checking COVID documents now or is there a second line of medical/admin staff somewhere?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I came through Alicante last Saturday. Covid certificate check is after baggage collect. Passport control takes a good 30 to 40 minutes but it depends on how many uk flights have arrived. Everyone has passport checked manually and stamped if not residents. EU folk go through e gates.
I feel us UK nats are just going to have to accept that now we voted to leave EU free movement has gone and that means that exit and entry is going to be more complicated. The idea that EU countries are so desperate for UK tourists they will do everything to accommodate us belongs to Brexiteers. It is clear that the issue at Dover is that it takes time to check documents whereas prior to Brexit you could literally drive straight through the French border control with offer no check at all. Everything has now changed and changed for good. If folk dont like that they need to vote for a political party that is willing to either hold another referendum or try and renegotiate the relationship with EU. Listening to Truss today though the same old lies are being pedalled about and sold to the masses .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nail on the head, Kaipa!

Brexit was a horrendous act of folly!

Leaving the EU has happened, so the floodgates are open now for how it will make a difference....!

Anyone care to share with me any tangible benefits of Brexit...?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nail on the head, Kaipa!

Brexit was a horrendous act of folly!

Leaving the EU has happened, so the floodgates are open now for how it will make a difference....!

Anyone care to share with me any tangible benefits of Brexit...?
Brexit, Brexit, Brexit......

I'm sick of hearing, listening and reading about Brexit 🤷‍♂️

Give it a rest or take it up with someone who can do something about it 😴

It's no good whatsoever to keep spouting off about Brexit on an expat forum.......

Steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
Typical reaction!

Tough, it is an open forum and we are free to discuss what we like.

Just watching SKY NEWS and the British are saying the queues at Dover have nothing to do with Brexit and a French guy is now saying it is 100% to do with Brexit.

Additional checks, stamping passports and queues were an inevitable consequence of Brexit.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Brexit, Brexit, Brexit......

I'm sick of hearing, listening and reading about Brexit 🤷‍♂️

Give it a rest or take it up with someone who can do something about it 😴

It's no good whatsoever to keep spouting off about Brexit on an expat forum.......

Steve
There is a real point about talking about Brexit on a forum. The more we highlight the problems that are occurring because our relationship has changed the more people are able to assess and evaluate the impact. The UK is still a democratic state which means if enough people dont like something they can bring about change. Brexit was built on a lie and now we are seeing that. What is happening in Dover today is a result of Brexit but immediately people like Truss looks for a way of denying this and a new lie begins in the form of " lazy " French border control staff. Or her announcement today that she will tear up all EU laws ( which will be replaced by new ones , obviously!). Its pathetic but the more people realise the lie and talk about the more control they will start to have and the sooner things can change

·
Registered
817 Posts
There is a real point about talking about Brexit on a forum. The more we highlight the problems that are occurring because our relationship has changed the more people are able to assess and evaluate the impact. The UK is still a democratic state which means if enough people dont like something they can bring about change. Brexit was built on a lie and now we are seeing that. What is happening in Dover today is a result of Brexit but immediately people like Truss looks for a way of denying this and a new lie begins in the form of " lazy " French border control staff. Or her announcement today that she will tear up all EU laws ( which will be replaced by new ones , obviously!). Its pathetic but the more people realise the lie and talk about the more control they will start to have and the sooner things can change
You are still going on as if people are stupid 🙄
Everybody by now knows about the consequences of brexit because people like you keep going on and on about it.

Even Keir Starmer has said he wouldn't ask for another referendum on brexit if he wins the election.

So who in the UK government is bothered enough to make a stance? Nobody......

Steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
You are still going on as if people are stupid 🙄
Everybody by now knows about the consequences of brexit because people like you keep going on and on about it.
Best get used to it as I take every opportunity that comes my way to highlight the folly of Brexit.
Equally, Brexiteers don't really want to discuss it as they now realize that they have been had! They simply want to shut down any debate on the topic and pretend it never happened.
Very few people are now banging on about how transformational Brexit is...
I know several people from the UK living in Spain who were ardent Brexiteers and the consequences of it have completely screwed up their lives.
My university qualifications are from a UK university and in fact I should go thru a homologation process to make them recognised in the EU. As it happens my latest employer only asked for references and never even asked to see copies of my university degrees, fortunately!
Furthermore, I absolutely disagree with you when you suggest that this is not an appropriate forum to address the issues that have arisen as a consequence of Brexit.
In fact, it is the perfect forum, not all issues that have arisen impact everyone, but by sharing our experience we can learn from each other as how to best understand, prepare and manage these issues, such as the passport checks and resulting delays, by way of a simple example.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Best get used to it as I take every opportunity that comes my way to highlight the folly of Brexit.
Equally, Brexiteers don't really want to discuss it as they now realize that they have been had! They simply want to shut down any debate on the topic and pretend it never happened.
Very few people are now banging on about how transformational Brexit is...
I know several people from the UK living in Spain who were ardent Brexiteers and the consequences of it have completely screwed up their lives.
My university qualifications are from a UK university and in fact I should go thru a homologation process to make them recognised in the EU. As it happens my latest employer only asked for references and never even asked to see copies of my university degrees, fortunately!
Furthermore, I absolutely disagree with you when you suggest that this is not an appropriate forum to address the issues that have arisen as a consequence of Brexit.
In fact, it is the perfect forum, not all issues that have arisen impact everyone, but by sharing our experience we can learn from each other as how to best understand, prepare and manage these issues, such as the passport checks and resulting delays, by way of a simple example.
There is probably less than 0000.1% of British people who belong to this forum who might be reading your rants and the majority of them will have lost interest by now (except 4K watchers 🤗) so you can carry on wearing your fingers out typing unread posts as I won't read any more either.

So goodbye and good luck with your quest.

Steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
Steve, to express an opinion, is to rant? It is rather irrelevant the small percentage of the UK population visit this forum, quite understandably as they do not live in Spain or aspire to, so I a bit puzzled by your erroneous reference to this.
As I already stated quite clearly, we can share our experience about how we who live in Spain and manage the issues thrown up by Brexit.
I find the logic of your reply quite convoluted and confused.
As to wanting to stick your head in the sand, please by my guest and go ahead and do an ostrich impression!
Much as you don't like it, YOU ALSO are impacted by Brexit, but it appears you are quite happy to wallow in denial!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came through Alicante last Saturday. Covid certificate check is after baggage collect. Passport control takes a good 30 to 40 minutes but it depends on how many uk flights have arrived. Everyone has passport checked manually and stamped if not residents. EU folk go through e gates.
This makes sense at the airports, they are obviously retaining the infrastructure from before.

But the only info I can find on the port websites implies they do it all at check-in before boarding - no mention of further checks but I can't imagine France / Spain are happy to leave it to the ferry companies!

We're travelling soon so will know for sure then - just curious what to expect at the moment and whether it's another queue to join.

As much as I dislike the consequences of Brexit, it seems everyone needs their COVID certificates checked so it's not really relevant to what I was asking about. 🤷

·
Registered
380 Posts
Apparently you just need an NHS certificate to enter Spain now, with the Spanish health locator form no longer necessary.

Is it the border / passport police now looking at these certificates or a second line of staff? Imagine the queues if border police are doing this!

So just curious if anyone has travelled recently and how it works.

Our experience flying to Malaga a while ago was border police did passports then in the baggage collection another set of staff checked the locator form. Is this still in place for all COVID documents?

And given news of delays in Dover, I'm curious how they do it there when you usually just hand passport through the car window. Are French police also checking COVID documents now or is there a second line of medical/admin staff somewhere?
Since I am an American, this has nothing to do with Brexit. Yesterday I flew from Mexico City Benito Juarez to Madrid Barajas. Before leaving Mexico City, I filled out the Spain travel health formto get a QR code. upon leavng Benito Juarez airport, unlike the past, Iberia never asked to see QR code. upon arriving in Madrid, there was no health check queue, unlike the past. It appears that things are going back to normal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think France is still smarting that someone actually criticised their precious EU and dared to leave.. I think the quote from the French Transport Minister gives a lot away: "French authorities have hit back at claims by the Port of Dover that French border control staff were to blame for a second day of hours-long delays, saying: “France is not responsible for Brexit.” he didn't mention though the problems of traffic in France and there were also similar scenes of travel disruption across other European countries, as the peak vacation season gets underway.
Authorities recorded a peak of 790 kilometres (490 miles) of traffic jams Saturday lunchtime on the main roads used by holidaymakers.
This peak was lower than the 930 kilometres (577 miles) recorded in France a year ago. Seems like they organise traffic like they did the football.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What gets me is why all these eager Brexiteers are travelling to France and Spain on holidays at all. Why don't they just stay in the UK and avoid the six hours wait in Dover or the new post brexit queues and document checks for non EU citizens. It cracks me up!

When UK was in the EU club there was a shared responsibility between the EU countries and the UK to ensure that travel was seamless, but now that the UK is out of the club, there is no onus of responsibility on any EU country to make passing to customs or passport control speedy, at peak times.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts