Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Yeah it'll fade the curtains, confuse birds, cows will give less milk and most importantly it will kill children.

Who cares either way really. I heard this this morning and my first thought was why?
But it didn't go much beyond that. They mentioned Hitler and Stalin on the radio as reasons.

I don't see it as an issue, they can do what they want although it will mean later nights for me(or will it be earlier?) which is a pain but ho-hum.

In case anyone was wondering the first part of my post are all arguments used by Queenslanders against daylight savings so I figured the same applies here.

·
Administrator
36,538 Posts
I have to admit that I find it faintly ridiculous that I live ON the Greenwich Mean Line - but we're on a different time!

tbh what difference would it REALLY make?

we'd all get used to it

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Are you aware that SPAIN has ONLY been on Berlin Time (cet) since dictator General Franco forced it into line with the Axis powers of Nazi Germany and fascist Italy in 1940?
Yes, I did! I heard it on the radio yesterday, but one woman on this programme says that Britain also changed, or rather didn'tchange its clocks during the war, and according to Wikipedia, that's right
Son las cuatro, las cuatro en Canarias

In 1940, during the Second World War, the clocks in Britain were not put back by an hour at the end of Summer Time. In subsequent years, clocks continued to be advanced by one hour each spring and put back by an hour each autumn until July 1945. During these summers, therefore, Britain was two hours ahead of GMT and operating on British Double Summer Time (BDST). The clocks were brought back in line with GMT at the end of summer in 1945. In 1947, due to severe fuel shortages, clocks were advanced by one hour on two occasions during the spring, and put back by one hour on two occasions during the autumn, meaning that Britain was back on BDST during that summer.[7][not in citation given]

British Summer Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have to admit that I find it faintly ridiculous that I live ON the Greenwich Mean Line - but we're on a different time!

tbh what difference would it REALLY make?

we'd all get used to it
It does make a difference if you can leave work in the middle of winter and still have a bit of daylight, or children can have an extra hour of daylight after school to play or do some sport. One of the most ridiculous things about the UK is the sun coming up soon after 4 in the morning in the middle of summer, and it setting at 3pm in the middle of winter.

·
Administrator
36,538 Posts
It does make a difference if you can leave work in the middle of winter and still have a bit of daylight, or children can have an extra hour of daylight after school to play or do some sport. One of the most ridiculous things about the UK is the sun coming up soon after 4 in the morning in the middle of summer, and it setting at 3pm in the middle of winter.
my kids go to school in the dark in the winter - in fact it's only September & it's not full light they leave the house even now - so I'd be happier for it to be lighter earlier

I know the clocks will be going back in a few weeks, but it will only take a few more weeks to be back in the same situation again

my point is - whatever happens with the clocks, it won't please everyone

& don't most outdoor sports facilities have lighting? They do here....

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
We are part of Spain and we are already on Western European Time, which is the same as G.M.T., So is Portugal, therefor in this respect, the Iberian part of Spain is the odd fellow ???????

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
When in the UK I always wanted to move to CET. I'm an evening person - I always hated dark evenings.

Mornings being dark doesn't matter so much - I hate them anyway.

Now in Spain it doesn't matter so much as I don't work.

Incidentally I wonder if Spain going to GMT will make it less likely that the UK will change to CET?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The French are never happy. That's what being French means (my OH is 1/4 French so I am French by marriage and allowed to say such things). The sun rises and sets quite independently of what time we call it. As long as it doesn't affect the taste of brandy I don't give a hoot....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
my kids go to school in the dark in the winter - in fact it's only September & it's not full light they leave the house even now - so I'd be happier for it to be lighter earlier

I know the clocks will be going back in a few weeks, but it will only take a few more weeks to be back in the same situation again

my point is - whatever happens with the clocks, it won't please everyone

& don't most outdoor sports facilities have lighting? They do here....
Given a choice between taking my kids to school "in the dark" (which usually means going in some form of transport or walking along a lit street) and taking them back from school "in the dark" I'd choose the former. It's not as if it being dark in the morning prevents them from doing things. Yes the outdoor sports facilities that you pay for have lights, but maybe not the local park - at least not to the extent that they can have a kick around. Of course you're right that it won't please everyone, but from personal experience the vast majority of people would prefer lighter evenings.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What struck me was they said it took a panel of people who probably should of had more pressing matters at hand 9 months to reach the decision.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Loads of reasons why it would be better.

1. If you watch TV programmes you could get to bed at a sensible time.

2. Uk folks just finishing their meals wouldn't ring when we were just starting ours.

3. Easier for business between UK and Spain

I personally would love it to happen.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Loads of reasons why it would be better.

1. If you watch TV programmes you could get to bed at a sensible time.

2. Uk folks just finishing their meals wouldn't ring when we were just starting ours.

3. Easier for business between UK and Spain

I personally would love it to happen.

I'd prefer it the other way round - the UK going CET!

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts