Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Calling on your collective experience: we're hoping to have a long weekend on the south coast of France at the beach in May.

Tell me - which beaches / places do you rate as a must-go?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Which coast are you looking at? In the South close to the Spanish border I like Colliore for the scenery, but the beach itself is small. The pays basque is nice for big beaches and big waves, but of course the water on that side is colder.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The beach in Sete is not bad if you're looking for sand. Colliore is on the med side, btw - I wasn't that clear. There's a wider beach nearby called Argelès. I've heard Saint Cyprien is nice but never been there. I don't know any sandy beaches in the Cote d'Azur but I hope someone else does!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It also depends

if you want wild beaches or family and with amenities like showers. It also depends on your budget.
Cote d'azur will be more pricey, Languedoc roussillon more reasonable. Collioure and Argeles, I don't know but they are supposed to be really windy beaches great for windsurfing or kite surfing. Between Sete and Montpellier you've got a cboice of wild or not neaches. Around marseille, like cassis it's more for the scenary as is by toulon, hyeres or frejus.

It's really depends on what you like.

Cheers,

Pauline

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ah yes, Cassis is nice! And Saint Cyr sur Mer in the Var....It's true that the beaches down the coast from Perpignan can be windy...depends on luck really. Have you thought about Spain? The beaches in L'Escala are great - Montgó is really big and sandy and protected from the wind because it's in a kind of cove.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My fav beaches are saintes-maries-de-la-mer or beauduc, both LOTS of sand, loverly clear water and really nice places to visit !!!

just along the coast there's grande motte and grau-du-roi, again lots of sand with a bit more in the way of nightlife :)

hth

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
My advice? Hop on a boat in Marseille, Toulon or Nice and head for Corsica! (Confession I am a bit biased)

Corsica has fabulous long white sandy beaches down the east coast, whilst the west coast has pretty beaches in coves interspersed with dramatic mountainous sheer drops & scary coast roads. The Cap has pretty fishing villages, Bonifacio has stunning white cliffs looking out over the nature reserve of the Iles Lavezi ..... and the weather's invariably nicer than on the mainland ......

.... and I happen to know where you can rent reasonably-priced self catering chalets ;)

Hils

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.