Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Australia as a whole is headed towards being the most expensive country in the world to live in, which is unfortunate for citizens and migrants alike. I've read a report recently which stated that doing business in Australia is becoming unsustainable due to the rising cost of living, and a lot of things are priced way too high that then should be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The costs of living in Australia are ridiculously high. Electricity, water...in fact ALL utilities are incredible in comparison with the rest of the world...food/groceries are ridiculous with an average shopping trolley for a family of four costing somewhere around $AU350 per week...the cost of housing (to buy and rent) is amongst the highest in the world...buying a car will set you back thirty odd thousand dollars, for something fairly 'average' (family car size)...really, here in Europe, we can live for 4-6 months for what we used to spend in ONE MONTH in Australia.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It's very concerning. I've read about a few people who have moved back to the UK exactly because of this.

Not sure why South Australia would have high electric bills out of all States, except for the fact that it's massively hot over there and I imagine people constantly run the A/C.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's very concerning. I've read about a few people who have moved back to the UK exactly because of this.

Not sure why South Australia would have high electric bills out of all States, except for the fact that it's massively hot over there and I imagine people constantly run the A/C.
SA isn't any 'hotter' than Queensland, parts of Western Australia etc...so I don't understand why they're implementing 'larger costs' for the utility either!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is an article that sort of explains why different states in Australia have different costs:

Why power bills are rising

Hi KimMii,
Your profile indicates that you are originally from Australia and now living in Italy. Is your reason moving to Italy due to the cost of living in Australia being too high? Or you are just in Italy for a change in environment?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here is an article that sort of explains why different states in Australia have different costs:

Hi KimMii,
Your profile indicates that you are originally from Australia and now living in Italy. Is your reason moving to Italy due to the cost of living in Australia being too high? Or you are just in Italy for a change in environment?
Does one really get a cheque for the environmental "inconvenience" of installing a wind turbine in their backyard? You might really need a big backyard though.

Do you get paid for installing a wind turbine in SA?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Facts of life re electricity in Australia; there is no reliable Hydro in Australia because it doesn't rain for ten years and then we get ten years rain in one month.

So we do electricity with coal, which costs megabucks, which we dig out of the ground, which costs megabucks, then transport it to power stations, which costs megabucks, and transmit the power over networks that have more numbers of kilometers than the USA deficit, which costs megabucks, we have a political impasse over how to deal with it, which costs megabucks....any more questions on why electricity is so expensive in Australia ?

·
Registered
112 Posts

Hi KimMii,
We came to EUROPE with full intentions of settling in France...but I had a medical issue and we ended up in Italy so I'm "Accidentally Italian" I suppose...and the reason we LEFT Australia, yes, the cost of living...my parents are now considering following us!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has Australia always been like this or have the costs risen in the past few years?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We came to EUROPE with full intentions of settling in France...but I had a medical issue and we ended up in Italy so I'm "Accidentally Italian" I suppose...and the reason we LEFT Australia, yes, the cost of living...my parents are now considering following us!

But what about the austerity measures and the bankruptcies, doesn't that frighten you? :( I"m just curious (not being critical).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Facts of life re electricity in Australia; there is no reliable Hydro in Australia because it doesn't rain for ten years and then we get ten years rain in one month.

So we do electricity with coal, which costs megabucks, which we dig out of the ground, which costs megabucks, then transport it to power stations, which costs megabucks, and transmit the power over networks that have more numbers of kilometers than the USA deficit, which costs megabucks, we have a political impasse over how to deal with it, which costs megabucks....any more questions on why electricity is so expensive in Australia ?
Knowing the 'landscape' of Australia...don't you wonder WHY we don't have HUGE wind farms and solar farms? We have all the wind, water and solar you could ever ask for...why not put it to good use?

It's something I've asked myself for years.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
KimMii - South Australia now has about 25% of it's electricity through wind farms according to the radio the other day but this doesn't appear to be bringing down prices.

The other thing with SA is that it's a MASSIVE state with a relatively low population.

We are living in SA, half way between Adelaide and Melbourne. The cost of a return coach to Adelaide is twice the price of the same journey to Melbourne and back but with very little difference in distance.

It costs 3 times as much to go to the rubbish tip here as it does just over the border in Portland so if anything has to go to the tip we wait until we're going over to Portland and go to their rubbish tip.

Costs in regional SA are rising. We're about to do some comparisons to see if we can get cheaper utilities. Our last electricity bill was from 30 Nov to 28 Feb (3 months) over the summer. There are 2 of us (adults) and we don't use air con. We do have electricity for cooking and the hot water. Our bill was $328.25 and our bill says our average cost per day is $3.61.

Cheers,
Karen

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Karen;
thanks for the wonderful insight.
I got the 176 SS visa a few weeks back. At this point of time I am really confused regarding the area/suburbs where I should even start looking for rentals. Can you plz throw some light on this topic?
Which places have good job prospects(apart from Adelaide) for Electrical Engineers...

KimMii - South Australia now has about 25% of it's electricity through wind farms according to the radio the other day but this doesn't appear to be bringing down prices.

The other thing with SA is that it's a MASSIVE state with a relatively low population.

We are living in SA, half way between Adelaide and Melbourne. The cost of a return coach to Adelaide is twice the price of the same journey to Melbourne and back but with very little difference in distance.

It costs 3 times as much to go to the rubbish tip here as it does just over the border in Portland so if anything has to go to the tip we wait until we're going over to Portland and go to their rubbish tip.

Costs in regional SA are rising. We're about to do some comparisons to see if we can get cheaper utilities. Our last electricity bill was from 30 Nov to 28 Feb (3 months) over the summer. There are 2 of us (adults) and we don't use air con. We do have electricity for cooking and the hot water. Our bill was $328.25 and our bill says our average cost per day is $3.61.

Cheers,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Karen;
thanks for the wonderful insight.
I got the 176 SS visa a few weeks back. At this point of time I am really confused regarding the area/suburbs where I should even start looking for rentals. Can you plz throw some light on this topic?
Which places have good job prospects(apart from Adelaide) for Electrical Engineers...
The highest population by far is Adelaide. Out side of that is Mount Gambier in the SE about 25,000 people and Whyalla in the NW about 21,000 people. I don't know which of those would be good for electrical engineers but all the other places are even smaller than that. Have you tried doing job searches for electrical engineers and seeing what's available?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes i have done some job searches and they are usually by a recruiting firm which says that the job might be anywhere in SA...
So I guess living nearby Adelaide is the best option...

The highest population by far is Adelaide. Out side of that is Mount Gambier in the SE about 25,000 people and Whyalla in the NW about 21,000 people. I don't know which of those would be good for electrical engineers but all the other places are even smaller than that. Have you tried doing job searches for electrical engineers and seeing what's available?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
yes i have done some job searches and they are usually by a recruiting firm which says that the job might be anywhere in SA...
So I guess living nearby Adelaide is the best option...
Adelaide has over 1.1M people there so it's the best option usually for work.
The other option is also the check FIFO (fly in fly out) jobs since I don't know if they'd be work for you in the mining areas.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can a company which has recruited me in SA; send me to work in other parts of Australia? the reason I am asking this is bcoz I have a state sponsored visa so I am a bit confused on this. Do I need to work in SA physically or I can work in other states as well as long as my firm is based in SA?

Adelaide has over 1.1M people there so it's the best option usually for work.
The other option is also the check FIFO (fly in fly out) jobs since I don't know if they'd be work for you in the mining areas.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can a company which has recruited me in SA; send me to work in other parts of Australia? the reason I am asking this is bcoz I have a state sponsored visa so I am a bit confused on this. Do I need to work in SA physically or I can work in other states as well as long as my firm is based in SA?
As long as you are working for an SA firm, you're fine, you're still contributing to SA's economy, even if they send you out of state for work. Incase the state ever requests your status, you can always show them your employment letter from your SA employer, so no worries.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Cheers,
Karen
We lived on the Gold Coast prior to our move across the world and our least expensive electricity bill was $620 for a quarter. When you add on air-conditioning, pool pumps etc (which we had used previously) and (this would be a warning to NOT buy one) a couple of large Plasma Screen televisions, we were paying about $1100-1200 a quarter.

I think the 'problem' with the costs of utilities is that even when it's being produced inexpensively (solar, wind, water) those 'savings' aren't being extended to the consumers, sadly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.