Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SA owned businesses

There are a lot - certainly hundreds; and a wide range from real estate to dentistry, security to spa treatments.
South African owned businesses?

I'm looking for a company that might hire a welder / fitter & turner... someone from South Africa that understands the desperate need most South African's have to get out of there.

I have a friend wanting to leave and he is fully qualified. But because we are not part of the EU, we have to deal with a whole lot of red tape. We need someone willing to apply for a work permit on his behalf.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
OK. Now I understand.

I ran a business in RSA for over 30 years and lived there for 12 and have a lot of SA friends so know what you're talking about.

Unemployment here in PT is VERY high and any potential employer would have to justify hiring a Saffer over a local to the Govt and that's pretty much impossible for jobs such as you're talking about.

Another issue they'd have is language. Unless they speak Portuguese, it's going to be even harder to find employment.

If they have a UK/EU connection/passport then getting in isn't a problem and from the little experience I have, getting in without that connection isn't impossible but nor is it easy...... Going self employed and/or setting up a business would probably be a lot easier than getting a job.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll be happy to talk to my local man in Govt here and put him in touch with you if he thinks he can offer you any helpful advice.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
In the trade your looking for your friend then you need the more heavy industrial areas than the Algarve Lisbon, Porto or Coimbra where there is an industrial pipe manufacturing firm, but still think in current times then a National will get preference in any job oppurtunities

1 - 12 of 12 Posts