Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need some input as to whether my buddy is being scammed.

EU guy works and lives here, moved to London a year ago. A week and a half ago, he meets this Chinese girl (from China) supposedly a student. have reason to suspect he is targeted by this girl in an atempt to secure a visa to live in the UK under family ties whatever.

Many girls from China are also part of the scams going on trying to hook themselves a UK or EU guy to marry them.

This girl is in her mid twenties, claims she is here on a student visa but she is not pursuing a degree , not undergrad or graduate degree, some studies at a private school.
I asked him to find out if she has a biometric card, since all non EU folks studying, working or living in the UK, after 2011 (is that the correct year?) has to have a valid biometric card stating the date of expiry etc, am i correct? If she doesn't have one, she may not even be a legit student.
She seems to be in a hurry to stay over, making plans to move in , after just one week of knowing each other, yeah....very suspicious in my book

I believe she may even be lying about being a student, since she claims she has roommates and it is not conducive for him to visit her at her lodgings.

Say my friend is scammed and believes he can "help" her stay in the UK

My questions are :

1) Can she stay in the country and convert her student visa into an EU family ties visa or does she have to return to China, when her visa expires and apply from there?

2) If she is enrolled in a private school, what is the maximum number of years will UKBA grant a student visa for, 1 year, 2 years or what?

2) Does he have to marry her in order to have her live in the UK as a bona fide resident? Can he apply as her being his unmarried co habitant?

3) If she is really not on a student visa, and is in fact an illegal, whether by overstaying or otherwise, can she be deported and if he wants to apply to sponsor her , will he have any problems trying to do that after she is deported?

4) As an EU applicant, does he have to provide proof of financial support, like the UK citizens plus proof of housing etc?

Note: He is already living in the UK for one year and so he will be applying from the UK.

I would like to warn my friend of the rules before he gets in too deep !! I just have this bad feeling he is being scammed. I have seen way too many Chinese from China scam these geeks in the Sillicon Valley and unsuspecting men elsewhere

Any answers to one or all of my questions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hi everyone,

I need some input as to whether my buddy is being scammed.

EU guy works and lives here, moved to London a year ago. A week and a half ago, he meets this Chinese girl (from China) supposedly a student. have reason to suspect he is targeted by this girl in an atempt to secure a visa to live in the UK under family ties whatever.

Many girls from China are also part of the scams going on trying to hook themselves a UK or EU guy to marry them.

This girl is in her mid twenties, claims she is here on a student visa but she is not pursuing a degree , not undergrad or graduate degree, some studies at a private school.
I asked him to find out if she has a biometric card, since all non EU folks studying, working or living in the UK, after 2011 (is that the correct year?) has to have a valid biometric card stating the date of expiry etc, am i correct? If she doesn't have one, she may not even be a legit student.
She seems to be in a hurry to stay over, making plans to move in , after just one week of knowing each other, yeah....very suspicious in my book

I believe she may even be lying about being a student, since she claims she has roommates and it is not conducive for him to visit her at her lodgings.

Say my friend is scammed and believes he can "help" her stay in the UK

My questions are :

1) Can she stay in the country and convert her student visa into an EU family ties visa or does she have to return to China, when her visa expires and apply from there?
She can switch to EEA route in UK.

2) If she is enrolled in a private school, what is the maximum number of years will UKBA grant a student visa for, 1 year, 2 years or what?
If the course is below degree level and she is at least 18, 3 years maximum.

2) Does he have to marry her in order to have her live in the UK as a bona fide resident? Can he apply as her being his unmarried co habitant?
Either marriage or two-year cohabitation.

3) If she is really not on a student visa, and is in fact an illegal, whether by overstaying or otherwise, can she be deported and if he wants to apply to sponsor her , will he have any problems trying to do that after she is deported?
If she is illegally in UK, she will be removed. It will be more difficult then as she may be banned from returning for some time.

4) As an EU applicant, does he have to provide proof of financial support, like the UK citizens plus proof of housing etc?
He needs to be exercising treaty rights, which usually means working. While no set income is laid down, he should at least show one payslip.

Note: He is already living in the UK for one year and so he will be applying from the UK.

I would like to warn my friend of the rules before he gets in too deep !! I just have this bad feeling he is being scammed. I have seen way too many Chinese from China scam these geeks in the Sillicon Valley and unsuspecting men elsewhere.
I think your consideration for your friend is admirable and wish more people report illegal immigrants to Home Office, though you should take care till you have some good evidence. Not all students have biometric residence permit. Those on their initial visa have a visa sticker in their passport. Those who renew or extend their leave in UK will be issued with BRP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply Joppa, you are the best!!

The buddy is deep in lust and the problem is that I also know the buddy's lived in girlfriend (She is EU from the same country as he )whom he has a joint lease with.She has been away from the UK looking after a sick relative. In the meantime, this China vixen on the pretext of being an innocent young student (in mid twenties) is trying to get him to sponsor her for a legit visa I bet.

I believe she may even be on one of those on a 6 months or 11 months visa (speaks terrible english) or may have sneaked into London as a tourist and overstayed. At any rate, she is after something, very suspicious how quick she sank her claws in.

First thing I am going to do is alert the lived in girlfriend and since her name is on the lease as joint tenant,one year left of the two year lease,she can legally ask the landlord to not allow the China gal to move in, can't she?
If he breaks the lease , he(my buddy) would still require the other joint tenant (girlfriend) to agree won't he? That would make it harder for the China Con to start her paper trail of 2 year cohabitation. :smile:

If they go the marriage route, if her visa is expired, or she is already illegal )since overstaying is illegal, isn't it/) then she can be deported and return to China where she has to wait for him to apply and hey, that application would be scrutinized further and with a closer examination since the red flag has been raised.

One way to determine whether she is legit or not is to suggest to Buddy to take her on a paid trip somewhere in Schengen. China Conwoman needs a Schengen visa and if a student, without a biometric or not, still would need a Schegen visa on a Chinese passport. She may also have to provide a Confirmation of Studies (I read it on UKBA website) and proof of financial bank statements in order to process the Schengen visa. If she cannot or is reluctant to do the above, that would be highly suspect. I know for a fact he is going to Scandinavia for a short break Dec 22 to 27th!! That will be a christmas break for students anyway:) That way if she presents her passport he can then see the sticker with the expiration date:) What do you think?

If I find out that she is illegal or her visa is about to expire, I will wait till it expires and if she is still around sucking up to my buddy, either the cuckolded girlfriend or I will report her in a heartbeat. I read that we can just call up the police or should we write to UKBA? What is the best way?:fish:

Just thinking, what if we squeal on her and she turns out to have a valid visa that hasn't expired, what will happen? Will she have a red flag raised so that in the event she tries to be legit later, there will be a record she was once reported for illegal activity??

I believe that the EU standardized biometric card is offered for those with at least 1 year visa and for extensions of valid visas.

What do you Joppa or others think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, sounds like your friend is in a trap. IMHO, any girl 1 week with you and talking exclusively about getting married to get a visa, is imminent trap. But you know, it might be real love.
If she is illegal, she might be banned for about 10 years.

Just tell your friend to take it easy, this world has plenty of girls. Also, right now he wants to "help her", but let's say in 10 years he falls in love, in a real relationship... well, he'll carry this strange episode. He might regret in the future.

If he is willing to marry somebody exclusively for "giving right to live there", is not something I recommend, but he should then "sell" his marriage. At least he gets some advantage right?

Anyway, don't take me seriously.

You can find some good information here:

Marriage and partnerships: UK Rules

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, sounds like your friend is in a trap. IMHO, any girl 1 week with you and talking exclusively about getting married to get a visa, is imminent trap. But you know, it might be real love.
If she is illegal, she might be banned for about 10 years.

Just tell your friend to take it easy, this world has plenty of girls. Also, right now he wants to "help her", but let's say in 10 years he falls in love, in a real relationship... well, he'll carry this strange episode. He might regret in the future.

If he is willing to marry somebody exclusively for "giving right to live there", is not something I recommend, but he should then "sell" his marriage. At least he gets some advantage right?

Anyway, don't take me seriously.

You can find some good information here:

Marriage and partnerships: UK Rules
What do you mean by sell his marriage? My buddy makes about £85K to 90K per annum, for someone in his late twenties, good catch.

Well she hasn't mentioned marriage, but I think she is going to, but get preganant first!! She told him that she knows about the joint lease but she wants to "take it slow" hold off on sex but yet she spent this past sat from 5pm to 12midnight watching movies and then holed up with him from then on till sunday 10pm...come on, she refused to leave his side , at his flat. This was the second date (no sex, she wants to take it slow,clever Conwoman):kiss: Probably sucked up to him big time (pardon the pun)....Ugh!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply Joppa, you are the best!!

The buddy is deep in lust and the problem is that I also know the buddy's lived in girlfriend (She is EU from the same country as he )whom he has a joint lease with.She has been away from the UK looking after a sick relative. In the meantime, this China vixen on the pretext of being an innocent young student (in mid twenties) is trying to get him to sponsor her for a legit visa I bet.

I believe she may even be on one of those on a 6 months or 11 months visa (speaks terrible english) or may have sneaked into London as a tourist and overstayed. At any rate, she is after something, very suspicious how quick she sank her claws in.

First thing I am going to do is alert the lived in girlfriend and since her name is on the lease as joint tenant,one year left of the two year lease,she can legally ask the landlord to not allow the China gal to move in, can't she?
If he breaks the lease , he(my buddy) would still require the other joint tenant (girlfriend) to agree won't he? That would make it harder for the China Con to start her paper trail of 2 year cohabitation. :smile:

If they go the marriage route, if her visa is expired, or she is already illegal )since overstaying is illegal, isn't it/) then she can be deported and return to China where she has to wait for him to apply and hey, that application would be scrutinized further and with a closer examination since the red flag has been raised.

One way to determine whether she is legit or not is to suggest to Buddy to take her on a paid trip somewhere in Schengen. China Conwoman needs a Schengen visa and if a student, without a biometric or not, still would need a Schegen visa on a Chinese passport. She may also have to provide a Confirmation of Studies (I read it on UKBA website) and proof of financial bank statements in order to process the Schengen visa. If she cannot or is reluctant to do the above, that would be highly suspect. I know for a fact he is going to Scandinavia for a short break Dec 22 to 27th!! That will be a christmas break for students anyway:) That way if she presents her passport he can then see the sticker with the expiration date:) What do you think?

If I find out that she is illegal or her visa is about to expire, I will wait till it expires and if she is still around sucking up to my buddy, either the cuckolded girlfriend or I will report her in a heartbeat. I read that we can just call up the police or should we write to UKBA? What is the best way?:fish:

Just thinking, what if we squeal on her and she turns out to have a valid visa that hasn't expired, what will happen? Will she have a red flag raised so that in the event she tries to be legit later, there will be a record she was once reported for illegal activity??

I believe that the EU standardized biometric card is offered for those with at least 1 year visa and for extensions of valid visas.

What do you Joppa or others think?
Joppa or anyone wants to chime in on the above?:)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just tell your friend what you think, but leave it to him to take any actions. You don't want to sour your friendship by being too pro-active with his life (after all), but you will be there for him after any fallout.
This isn't a forum to discuss someone else's immigration problems. If he needs advice, he should post himself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joppa, does the Forum rules say that a person can only ask or post problems pertaining to himself or herself and cannot ask about issues that refer to another person?

·
Administrator
36,518 Posts
Joppa, does the Forum rules say that a person can only ask or post problems pertaining to himself or herself and cannot ask about issues that refer to another person?
there is nothing in the forum rules about that at all

you can ask any questions either for yourself, or on behalf of someone else - but please avoid posting personal info about either yourself, or anyone else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is nothing in the forum rules about that at all

you can ask any questions either for yourself, or on behalf of someone else - but please avoid posting personal info about either yourself, or anyone else
Thank you Super Moderator for the prompt reply!! You will notice that no personal names were mentioned !!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It's nothing to do with forum rules but a common sense approach. You should tell your friend about this forum and urge to post questions and take advice, thereby taking responsibility for themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.