Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have been considering a move to Australia for a few years now and was hoping that you could answer some questions for me.

I realise that a lot of them will have been answered in other threads, but I'm hoping to get an update on any rules that have been changed recently.

I am a Senior Electrical Building Services Engineer with over 15 years experience, in many sectors (retail, commercial, healthcare, residential etc etc) and my wife is an Dispensing Optician.

We both qualify for the skilled visa and would probably like to take that route when applying. Does anyone have a ball park figure for the costs and timescales associated with the skilled visa(s) and whether there are any recommended migration agents.

I've also heard , that it is less problematic when you actually have a job offer from an employer.

I'm certain that i'd like to come over for a month or so to do interviews etc so I can get a handle on the people and to scope out accommodation in person.

A

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello Cardenden,

Welcome to the Forum,

Actually I am also an electrical engineer and applying for GSM 175 Visa (Skilled Independent Migrant) :

1- your age must be under 45 years at time of application
2- Try to Take points assessment test on DIAC's web page.
3- Your Job is on both MODL and CSL (that means more likely to get faster process)
4- you need to get your skills assessed, check Institute of Engineers, Australia for requirements and fees is around AUD $450.
5- The fees of Immigration Applications at DIAC for GSM 175 should be (AUD $2525)
6- You can carry out the process on your own and you may use an agent (I used one) and it may cost you approximately another AUD$ 2500 - 3000
7- Concerning the time frame, I would say 1-2 months for Assessment of Engineers Australia, and from Date of application (6-9 months) , that would sum up approximately to 17-11 months over all procedure.
8- For Engineering jobs, i think it's very unlikely to land a job remotely, however I got a job offer online and traveled for negotiations, but most people would say it will be between 2-6 months to get a job in average, but after you land.
9- I would say also that Electrical Engineers (Building Services and Others) are already in demand (I have checked Melbourne).

Also as a general advice for any types of Info, check the stickies on the top of the form, specially Please Read and Cost of Living, it can give you a large source to arrange your thinking.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions based on my own experience ( N.B. I am not yet in Australia although i visited there before, and I am not a migration agent)

Good Luck,

Regards,

M. Omar

Hi there, I have been considering a move to Australia for a few years now and was hoping that you could answer some questions for me.

I realise that a lot of them will have been answered in other threads, but I'm hoping to get an update on any rules that have been changed recently.

I am a Senior Electrical Building Services Engineer with over 15 years experience, in many sectors (retail, commercial, healthcare, residential etc etc) and my wife is an Dispensing Optician.

We both qualify for the skilled visa and would probably like to take that route when applying. Does anyone have a ball park figure for the costs and timescales associated with the skilled visa(s) and whether there are any recommended migration agents.

I've also heard , that it is less problematic when you actually have a job offer from an employer.

I'm certain that i'd like to come over for a month or so to do interviews etc so I can get a handle on the people and to scope out accommodation in person.

A

·
Registered
18 Posts

A
i am a electrical design and estimation engineer working in a building service company. I hope u might have submitted your application and documents. i am also willing to relocate to Australia. I need some model CDR(CAREER DEMONSTRATION REPORT), which is relevant to my field, with that i can prepare mine. if you don't mind, could you send me your cdr, it will be more helpful to me.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Cardenden,

Welcome to the Forum,

Actually I am also an electrical engineer and applying for GSM 175 Visa (Skilled Independent Migrant) :

1- your age must be under 45 years at time of application
2- Try to Take points assessment test on DIAC's web page.
3- Your Job is on both MODL and CSL (that means more likely to get faster process)
4- you need to get your skills assessed, check Institute of Engineers, Australia for requirements and fees is around AUD $450.
5- The fees of Immigration Applications at DIAC for GSM 175 should be (AUD $2525)
6- You can carry out the process on your own and you may use an agent (I used one) and it may cost you approximately another AUD$ 2500 - 3000
7- Concerning the time frame, I would say 1-2 months for Assessment of Engineers Australia, and from Date of application (6-9 months) , that would sum up approximately to 17-11 months over all procedure.
8- For Engineering jobs, i think it's very unlikely to land a job remotely, however I got a job offer online and traveled for negotiations, but most people would say it will be between 2-6 months to get a job in average, but after you land.
9- I would say also that Electrical Engineers (Building Services and Others) are already in demand (I have checked Melbourne).

Also as a general advice for any types of Info, check the stickies on the top of the form, specially Please Read and Cost of Living, it can give you a large source to arrange your thinking.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions based on my own experience ( N.B. I am not yet in Australia although i visited there before, and I am not a migration agent)

Good Luck,

Regards,

M. Omar
i am a electrical design and estimation engineer working in a building service company. I am also willing to relocate to Australia. I need some model CDR(CAREER DEMONSTRATION REPORT),which is relevant to my field,and formats of the other documents to be submitted. could you help me?
Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts