Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are headed to the Consulate's office in LA for our Monday appointments for our long-stay visa. Wish us luck. Hopefully our 13 categories of documents, in original and copies, plus other docs they don't expressly request, will suffice. By the way, does anyone have any experience with the consulate's office in this regard - we're going as a married couple, but we had to set two separate appointments (9 and 920 am). Might they move us to a shared interview? It was kind of a pain having twice as many copies of everything as we might have needed otherwise.

Anyway, to the point . . . Are there networks or a forum like this one for ex-lats in Montpellier? As we're studying French, learning our way around and trying to integrate into our new community, it would be nice to meet and socialize with other English speakers, and of course pump them for information helpful about the area. I know there's a French-English center in town, but I don't know if that's a good resource for us, or whether there are other options. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Administrator
50,364 Posts
In September, all the various clubs and associations will start up for the new season and you may find that you're spoiled for choice. There is a FAWCO group in Montpellier Home and Montpellier has a large and active AVF (Accueil des Villes Françaises), which is a newcomers' group. Montpellier - AVF - Accueil des Villes Françaises Though it is a French organization, they have activities in English (usually including some sort of conversation group) and to help newly arrived foreigners practice their French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Good luck with your appointment! Bon courage! LOL! They can be scary sometimes! Maybe not the one in LA.... I had one grill me last time (at a consulate in another state) and I was crushed but then I still ended up with the visa. So yeah, if you have everything, you should be good...

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,304 Posts
My wife and I are headed to the Consulate's office in LA for our Monday appointments for our long-stay visa...By the way, does anyone have any experience with the consulate's office in this regard - we're going as a married couple, but we had to set two separate appointments (9 and 920 am). Might they move us to a shared interview? It was kind of a pain having twice as many copies of everything as we might have needed otherwise.
My wife and I did our appointment together, so I think it's possible that you will be able to do the same. Ours was in Boston.

For future reference, we also do our annual appointment at the Prefecture to renew our Cartes des sejour together. Even though we're together, we always prepare separate copies for each of us. We don't always need them, but it's SO much easier to have them than to not.

One of our first purchases in France was a computer printer that scans, copies, and FAXes. One of the best purchases we made in France. I recommend it to you.

Anyway, to the point . . . Are there networks or a forum like this one for ex-lats in Montpellier?...
We live in a tiny village without much in the way of organizations or English speakers. It made it incumbent upon us to start speaking French right away, inviting people for aperatifs right away (in spite of our truly terrible French), etc. At that time, I remember thinking, "I hope some day I will be able to simply chat with our neighbors". Someday came a lot sooner than I expected <s>, but it was the immersion that made all the difference.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts