Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I had my Hertz rented car parked and when I came back i see a huge scratch in the front and the front parachute damaged.

I had got LDW with an excess of 0aed, which means I don't have to pay anything if the car is damaged, but reading the conditions I see they say that I need a police report to have any damaged covered.

What does it mean? Should I call the police and say someone hit my car and ask them to make a report? Have anyone gone through that experience before?

Regards.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Go to the nearest police station (do not call them out as they will be very annoyed) and tell them what has happened.

They'll log it, give you info and a form and thats it. Nothing more complex. Its a very UAE admin burden which the police hate but its the law.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Anyone ever use the app for these minor things?
I used the UAE Police App to report an articulated lorry driving along the cycle path once a couple of years ago

I got a text message back telling me to call the police by phone and log it with them, which completely defeated the point of the App.

If its as reliable as the UAEWallet App, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Report minor accidents from your phone in Dubai
1,671 motorists used the police application to report minor accidents since Ramadan started

Report minor accidents from your phone in Dubai | GulfNews.com
Please read the article - you need the details of BOTH vehicles involved. For an incident where the other vehicle isn't known, or it's something not involving another vehicle, you can't use the app.

Recently in the parking of my building a corrosive substance dripped from the ceiling and ruined some of the paint work on my car - there is NO function on the app to report such things. You have to go to the police station.

I've just gone through the entire app - there's no option for incidents not involving other cars.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Have you noticed what a UAE Government App wants from you in the permissions?

I would never install one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If things couldn't get worse today i woke up with a flat tired (that its not covered by the insurance).

Does anybody knows a place in Dubai where I can fix it cheap? Or even get a second hand one..

Regards

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
NEVER buy a second hand tyre. Most fuel stations have a tyre place, go there and check the year on the tyre carcass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Today I went to the police station, I explained them everything and they told me to go back to the place I had my car parked, park it in the same position and call the police.

So I did that, call them, they came and they wrote me a paper all in arabic and told me to go tomorrow to the police station with that paper and pay 100aed (they couldn't explain me what for even that I asked several times)..

I dont know if this is a normal procedure, if I can use the hand writed paper they gve me to report in the car rental company..

Any advice will be welcomed

Regards

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Update:

Today I went to the police station, I explained them everything and they told me to go back to the place I had my car parked, park it in the same position and call the police.

So I did that, call them, they came and they wrote me a paper all in arabic and told me to go tomorrow to the police station with that paper and pay 100aed (they couldn't explain me what for even that I asked several times)..

I dont know if this is a normal procedure, if I can use the hand writed paper they gve me to report in the car rental company..

Any advice will be welcomed

Regards
From what I recall, the AED 100 basically is for that letter and the letter states that you do not know who scratched your car. It's for the insurance companies to be able to claim the insurance on your vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts