Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have come down to Australia to stay with my long term boyfriend on a holiday visa. My next goal is to receive a work and holiday visa (subclass 462). For this I plan to spend a week with a friend in NZ to apply and receive it before returning. However, I read that customs requires you to have 5000 AUD in a bank account? Is this true/enforced? If it is, then I will need to take out a loan, so looking for some answers/advice.

Also my boyfriend is under the impression that to sponsor me when eventually I apply for the temporary partner visa (subclass 820), that it will not be granted if he does not have his own apartment/house. Is this true? Currently, we are staying with his family in their home until we are making enough to move out. I am worried I will be refused the partner visa because we do not make enough or because we don't have our own place yet.

Last question would be, how soon should I apply for the temp partner visa? A few months into my work visa?
Worst case scenario, I would need to return to America for some time between visas to make money I guess, but I'd rather stay here.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
1) I have heard DIBP can/do ask for evidence of the money but not always. Best to make sure you have it in case you are asked.
2) Not necessary for you and your partner (better to use the term partner than boyfriend, which can suggest you're simply dating) to have your own residence. A lot of applicants/sponsors are living with family to save up for their own home. You'll need statutory declarations from his family that you are living there and that you are a genuine couple, etc. and having evidence of how you share household chores, contribute to expenses, etc.
3) If you're applying as a de facto couple, you need evidence for 12 months prior to your application. Don't leave it to the last day of your WHV in case there are technical issues, but make sure to have at least 12 months from the time of your first arrival on the tourist visa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts