Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am a Canadian citizen with a bach. degree in engineering and experience in engineering as well as technical writing. My husband is hoping to do graduate studies in the future in the US. We have the capital required for us to get there on a student visa, but rather than living completely off of our savings and having little left by the time he's done, I'd like to work while we're there. We have 4 children, so it wouldn't take long to plow through a lot of money with no income!

I realize I could attempt to find a sponsor who would employ me, however, I prefer not to work full-time since we have 4 young kids and it's highly unlikely (if not impossible) that I would find a sponsor willing to bring me there and then let me work part-time.

A possible solution I've come up with is contract technical writing. I'm considering pursuing that here in the meantime anyway, but if I were to start a business here offering tech writing and get some clients, could I expand into the US and get contract work there without a work visa? Would I need $200,000 capital in addition to the capital required for my husband to get a student visa? Would contract tech writing even count as a business? As you can see, I have a lot of questions and would really appreciate some help and ideas from people who know about this kind of thing. And in case it wasn't clear, the plan is that we would come back to Canada after he's done grad studies (3-5 years).

Thanks a lot!!
Heather

PS - Any other ideas/suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
It is a very grey area - you are producing your income - hence working - in the US. I have not found a solution but your husband's visa. Depending on his you may be able to work.
You are correct - no employer will or better can sponsor a part time person.
Have you considered health care and day care for four children in the US?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts