Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am a student and I have plans to move to Nice, France next year to live for a little bit, but I'm a little bit concerned whether it's possible to find a job for english speaking student (who has just finished a school). I mean something like bartender or what so ever, but only with a English language.
As I know Nice most is a city for tourists, so English should be wide spread there, but am I right?
And is it possible to rent some place to live with lets say bartender's salary?

Would be really glad if someone could give me some piece of advice :))

·
Administrator
49,395 Posts
I'm afraid I have only one piece of advice for you: LEARN FRENCH!

It's hard enough for someone with "qualifications" (i.e. a university degree or certificate in a specific career field) to find work without decent French. Even in companies where English is the official company working language, they still expect the local staff to speak the local language.

If you're looking for bar work or other "unskilled" labor, your chances are next to none with only English. While there may be plenty of English speaking tourists in and around Nice, there are lots more French speaking ones.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
64 Posts
It won't be easy but with a lot of determination, might be do-able.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head: I used to go out to some Irish and Dutch bars in Nice where all the staff spoke English. Where I live now in Antibes, there is a huge English speaking community, many of whom work on the yachts - everything from cleaners and cooks to captains. There are also English speaking bars and shops here. Where I work in Sophia Antipolis there are some English speaking companies that don't expect staff to speak French. Amadeus, for example, sometimes take on stagieres.

But as Bev says, the more French you can learn, the better.

·
Administrator
49,395 Posts
One other problem with not knowing French is that you can wind up in "under the table" type jobs - where you work on the cheap and without the usual benefits. There is lots of chance for abuse in those kinds of jobs so be very sure you're not getting yourself into something like that.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.