Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am a new joinee. I am planning to apply for the 189 to immigrate to Australia.

While there is a lot of information available on skill select and the threads here, there are certain bits that are quite confusing.

Let me start with some information about myself.

• I work in the IT industry and my work experience is 8 years 2 months.

• I am 30 years old.

• I have a bachelor's degree in engineering.

• My IELTS score is 8.5

• Of the 8.2 years i've worked for 3 years in Zurich. So have decent overseas work ex.

• My wife is also in IT. She has 4 years of work ex with 1 year in Zurich. She is preparing for the IELTS as i write this.

• She too has a bacherlor's degree in engineering.

Coming to my questions:

• I wrote to the Australia Computer Society (ACS) to find out whether i need to get skills assessed before I start my visa process and they said i need to first start with the visa process, whereas quite a few posts in this forum say otherwise, and so does skill select.

• Skill select says that i require a certificate of character from every country that I stayed in for more than 12 months. I've received a Deregistation document from the Swiss authorities while leaving switzerland. It is basically affirms that i have a clean record, no dues etc. Will this suffice?

• Finally, specific to India, have other indians got transcripts created from their Universities (University of Pune in my case) or used their marksheets for skill assessment.

I know this is an awefully long post, and hope not to annoy any of you.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi All,
I am a new joinee. I am planning to apply for the 189 to immigrate to Australia.

While there is a lot of information available on skill select and the threads here, there are certain bits that are quite confusing.

Let me start with some information about myself.

• I work in the IT industry and my work experience is 8 years 2 months.

• I am 30 years old.

• I have a bachelor's degree in engineering.

• My IELTS score is 8.5

• Of the 8.2 years i've worked for 3 years in Zurich. So have decent overseas work ex.

• My wife is also in IT. She has 4 years of work ex with 1 year in Zurich. She is preparing for the IELTS as i write this.

• She too has a bacherlor's degree in engineering.

Coming to my questions:

• I wrote to the Australia Computer Society (ACS) to find out whether i need to get skills assessed before I start my visa process and they said i need to first start with the visa process, whereas quite a few posts in this forum say otherwise, and so does skill select.

• Skill select says that i require a certificate of character from every country that I stayed in for more than 12 months. I've received a Deregistation document from the Swiss authorities while leaving switzerland. It is basically affirms that i have a clean record, no dues etc. Will this suffice?

• Finally, specific to India, have other indians got transcripts created from their Universities (University of Pune in my case) or used their marksheets for skill assessment.

I know this is an awefully long post, and hope not to annoy any of you.

Many Thanks.
It is mandatory to do the ACS assessment before EOI as you have to put the reference number for your skill assessment while filling the EOI form online. Character certificate is required and as per DIAC. Please see the following document http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf This document has country specific process for obtaining clearance certificate.
I have also done engineering from Pune University. I submitted mark sheets of all semester and final BE certificate to ACS.

Regards
Amit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amit for the quick reply.

Just wanted to know how long it took for the ACS results to come back?

And yes, all the best for your remaining process.

SJ

·
Registered
530 Posts
3 months.. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Employment Reference

Hi ,
I have worked all 8 years in the same organization, but the letter that my company is prepared to give me does not have all the required details.

The letter details my current designation, employment start time but does not detail out duties and responsibilities.

How should i provide the detailed information required. A few people (couple of seniors and a client side manager) are willing to provide letter of reference, but not all of them are in India currently.

Please advice.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi ,
I have worked all 8 years in the same organization, but the letter that my company is prepared to give me does not have all the required details.

The letter details my current designation, employment start time but does not detail out duties and responsibilities.

How should i provide the detailed information required. A few people (couple of seniors and a client side manager) are willing to provide letter of reference, but not all of them are in India currently.

Please advice.
hello, the referees who refer you need not to be in india but they should have worked with you or at least know you during your employment tenure. the ideal person is the one to whom under you worked. it could be your immediate manager or team lead. You should get a reference from your lead or manager, if possible, on company's letterhead with detailed job description.

if not, try to get it done on stamp paper (statutory declaration) with notarization from a lawyer. Even, if you worked under your immediate manager for 3 months, that will be fine to get reference letter from him but, ask him not to put this 3 months, for example, in that letter.

Reactions: SJAusamb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi sathiyaseelan
Thank you very much for your reply.

Would i not require a reference for each period of my employment.

I've worked with one manager from 2005-2007. Then another form 2007-2009, and another from 2009-2013.

Would i need three reference letters on three stamp papers?
Also i would very much like to include a letter from a british manager. But since he is not in india how do i get his data on a stamp paper??

SJ

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi sathiyaseelan
Thank you very much for your reply.

Would i not require a reference for each period of my employment.

I've worked with one manager from 2005-2007. Then another form 2007-2009, and another from 2009-2013.

Would i need three reference letters on three stamp papers?
Also i would very much like to include a letter from a british manager. But since he is not in india how do i get his data on a stamp paper??

SJ
actually, one reference letter from one company is more than enough. If you worked under 5 managers in various projects in your 3 years of work experience, does getting one reference letter from each manager make sense? No, what you need to do is to get one reference letter from any of the above. But, check out with everyone and who can offer you the letter on company's letterhead and then choose that manager as your referee. you might have good rapport with him.

As far as whole visa process in concerned, one letter from one employer is more than sufficient, however, for your future job prospects in Australia after visa grant, acquiring as many reference letters as possible is, without doubts, a good way to go that i recommend you though. but, submit only one letter for skills assessment and visa application.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts