Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So here is my situation:

My boyfriend is British, we met while both on vacation in Canada (I am Canadian) about six years ago. He moved here to Canada five years ago to be with me and is now a permanent resident. I sponsored him as my common law spouse. We have decided that in August 2013 we want to move back to England. I have only Bern a visitor in England. I am wondering how I go about becoming a resident and working etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
You should check older threads in the forum, there are tons of information. Also refer to the Home Office website, it has step by step application procedures for your situation, you should hurry up tough, rules are changing, becoming stricter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okkay I can do that. Referring to older forums is a bit confusing though as I am not sure if my situation is unique in that he has been living with me for five years in Canada. Which route do I take? Do I need to apply for a spousal visa? Also we are not moving until August 2013 so am I able to apply before the changes?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Okkay I can do that. Referring to older forums is a bit confusing though as I am not sure if my situation is unique in that he has been living with me for five years in Canada. Which route do I take? Do I need to apply for a spousal visa? Also we are not moving until August 2013 so am I able to apply before the changes?
The visa you require is an 'Unmarried Partner Visa'. Start here: UK Border Agency | Unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or settled person Cost is US$1337.

Normally, you can only apply up to three months prior to the intended date of travel.

teuchter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I have checked that stuff out and am left wondering just a couple of things:
With the changes coming in to place is this still an option for me? I am a professional Baker so not considered a skilled worker.
How much money do they expect us to have saved as we would both look to start working as soon as we are there?
I assume proving he can provide for me for 27 months is quite a bit, so is there any way his family in England can vouch to be able to support me as well? As I mentioned I will be working as soon as I can so in reality I will be able to support myself.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
You should check older threads in the forum, there are tons of information.
Updates and changes to immigration procedures and laws tend to happen every 6 months usually in April and October so anything older than 6 months probably isn't relevant.

You have to apply for a spouse visa
They aren't married.

Alright I have checked that stuff out and am left wondering just a couple of things:
With the changes coming in to place is this still an option for me? I am a professional Baker so not considered a skilled worker.
How much money do they expect us to have saved as we would both look to start working as soon as we are there?
I assume proving he can provide for me for 27 months is quite a bit, so is there any way his family in England can vouch to be able to support me as well? As I mentioned I will be working as soon as I can so in reality I will be able to support myself.
Thanks!
At the moment, with a combination of savings and income from your sponsors's job, you are expected to have £105.95/week after paying rent or mortgage and council tax. Yes, his family can act as co-sponsor, but it's not just that they "vouch to be able to support" you. It becomes a legally binding obligation and they must provide provide bank statements, a letter stating their intention to support you, etc to show that they have the means to support you. (But, as has already been pointed out, there is a very good possibility that this will change in the very near future.)

As you may have heard, the UK is in the midst of a horrible recession. Just a reality check, unless you already have jobs lined up, it's optimistic to think that you'll start working right away.

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
Oh also what are processing times for working holiday? How in advance can I apply? Thanks
Now called Youth Mobility Scheme visa, it's available to those aged up to 30 and is valid 2 years. It's much easier to obtain YBS visa than settlement visa, and you only need a small amount of savings. But you can't switch to another work visa and any time you spend on it in UK doesn't count towards settlement.

Processing time I'd imagine is a couple weeks at most. You can apply up to 3 months before your intended travel date.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
How old are you? Or rather, how old will you be in August 2013? I think you have to be under 31. Visas can only be postdated for 3 months. Currently, Tier 5 visas are being processed in about 2 weeks. But, who knows what processing times will be like by August 2013.

Here is a link to the Youth Mobility Scheme to see if you're even eligible:

UK Border Agency | Can you apply?

Since you don't intend move to the UK for nearly 1 1/2 years, it's pretty impossible to make any suggestions as who knows what the immigration laws will be at that time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be 27 when we go. Although laws change anything to give me an idea of the process is appreciated! My partner becoming a permanent resident in Canada was hell to go through!
I have checked and I am eligible for the youth mobility scheme.
my main concern is being able to work when we get to England. We will have to stay with family until we have jobs and a home (which is quite undesirable) since we will be relocating together rather than me joining my partner who is already there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.