Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently married American to a Welsh lady, preparing to apply for a Spouse Visa to enter the UK. I have been researching solicitors. Are most people on here not using one? Maybe just using this forum instead? This seems risky to me but 2 of the 3 solicitors I have contacted have quoted 1000 pounds for this service. This seems extreme to me, basically doubling the cost of the process. Moderators please remove this post if it is inappropriate as I read that solicitation of services is not allowed. I'm wondering if anyone has a solicitor they would recommend using that is in the 500 pound cost approximately? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If your case is fairly straight forward (no adverse immigration history, criminal convictions, dependent children issues) there is no reason you can't do your own application.

Even with using a solicitor, the most onerous part of the procedure is gathering documentation and they can't help you with that anyway.

As long as you are reasonably able to follow directions, you should be able to proceed on your own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Kerryjazz

I advise to proceed to proceed on your own :)

On the contrary a solicitor for uncomplicated case might give a false sense of security and you will not be as rigorous in collecting the document.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
We used a solicitor to the tune of £975 (when researching for about 2 months we were quoted 800-2000£ from various solicitors). After submitting, I found this very informative and helpful site. I'm still unsure if we should have used the solicitor as he really did not do much, and is not providing any support for us at this juncture either.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.