Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As I am waiting for my ITA, I try to find out on this forum a similar "case" to my "future" professional status: an expat living now in NZ with a sole trader status who has a collaboration contract with European companies? and it is by this "contract/job" that he/she applied for his/her visa.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi everyone,

As I am waiting for my ITA, I try to find out on this forum a similar "case" to my "future" professional status: an expat living now in NZ with a sole trader status who has a collaboration contract with European companies? and it is by this "contract/job" that he/she applied for his/her visa.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Hmm I'm not convinced you are going the correct visa route for NZ.
A sole trader is a person who runs their own business, whatever that business entails. They control, manage and own every part of that business on their own.
Usually a person coming to NZ and wanting to start their own business would have to go the entrepreneur / investor route to Residency which takes a long time and is costly with the person having to provide evidence of large sums of investment and other equity. Skilled Migrant Category is not the intended route.
In my opinion, if you are intending to come and live in Wellington working as a sole trader with a cotract with European companies, it is of no benefit to NZ and the future prosperity of NZ ?
All you'll be doing is paying tax on any net profit. You wouldn't be taking up a skilled job or a position that is in skill shortage. Your skills wouldn't be of any value or be a direct advantage to NZ which is the whole intention of the Skilled Migrant Route......to bring skilled people into NZ where there is a clear gap in the market and a shortage of the skill required.
Tis only my opinion of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I take note of your remark.

The reason why i didn't choose the entrepreneur track is that I don't want to invest 100000$ when I have already a job guaranteed with secured revenues. So i don't see the point to create a business entity as "sole trader" as per definition, it has not to be a business entity..

Now, talking about the impact or not on NZ, the collaboration includes management of contracts with customers in and outside New Zealand and it is in a sector with future growth and benefits for NZ (ICT specific field).

I stand ready to explain that during my process so I still hope I can have a chance to go through it by that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just want to confirm that my path was a dead-end one. I have stayed too long under the sun here and I couldn't realize how stupid it was to even try that road.

Lesson learned after loosing some gold coins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts