Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Reaching out to what seems a resourceful and kind community on the forums for a bit of help.

My wife and step-daughter will apply for settlement visas to the UK in Febuary from our current base in Ghana. I am reasonably comfortable with most of the procedure but the issue of sole-responsibility is a difficult one to fully clarify.

My step-daughter has not had any contact with her biological father since she was 1 year old and he has only met her a couple of times. My wife was not married to him and was not in a stable relationship with him.

My wife moved to Europe leaving her daughter in the care of her parents but kept in daily contact, visited home and her daughter visited her in Europe on many occasions. My wife continued to pay for her school fees and was a major decision maker in her life.

In 2009 my wife moved back to Ghana but it wasn't until 2011 that her daughter moved in with us full-time. She has been living with us, we have paid her school fees, medical bills and travelled to the UK on two occasions for holidays.

My wife has no court orders to clarify her parental custody and I have read that court documents with Ghana are not accepted by the UKBA for cases of sole responsibility. We have a lot of receipts, photos etc that prove the history that I have stated above.

The father is contactable but we have no contact with him, he is a disruptive character and if we ask him to sign a document consenting to the move he may refuse to sign it and it will be a chance for him to be disruptive in our daughters life.

I am hoping for some help in understanding that within Ghana is explaining the history (with documentation) enough to prove sole-reponsibilty? It's hard to have prove that her biological father has been non-existent!

Ay help would be much appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.