Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I've spend countless hours reading through others threads and decided to ask for help on my own unique situation. I'ts a bit hard to decide what to do when everyone seems to be in a similar yet very different situation so here goes mine. I'll be applying in 2 weeks from the US and the only category that makes me uncomfortable is the visa for my child (daughter,11).

A few key points

1. I petitioned for sole custody/responsibility, or as they call it here in California, Full paternity of my daughter last year and received approval under the circumstance of her father being non responsive. Also received approval of name change from her biological fathers last name to mine. (not sure if that holds any value, or worth mentioning in the application)

2. Her biological father is not in her life now and has not been since the age of 3 off and on. (side note, there is no record of him ever supporting her or being involved or included in life responsibilities and or decision such as, school, religion or health since birth

3. Although he can be reached, he is not a US resident or citizen and has no form of identification to say the least.

I have some confusion and feel a bit mislead by the child requirement and info provided by the UK Government

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/263240/child_gen.pdf

Can someone please help me understand what I need to provide in order to get approved together with my daughter on a fiance visa? I have read and understand that its a much better option to leave my daughter here and apply after I get married but this is not an option for me as we wont get married for almost 6 months and she does not have someone appropriate to stay with in California. I'd like to compose a very supportive application and gain approval the first time if possible!

Here are some ways to satisfy the ECO I have read through threads on this site and google searches, need all the feedback I can get please!

1. Sole responsibility/custody is on the top of the list of important documents....Which I have

2. Notarized letter of the father giving the okay to move to the UK indefinite.... This can be obtain but cannot be notarized

3. An assessment from a US government social worker to show my daughter must come along with me....I read this in a thread here but the woman was in the Philippines, not sure if it holds any value for US

4. Provide tax forms to show I have been head of house hold and claimed my daughter as my dependent.... I can prove up to 7 years

5. Letters from schools confirming father has never been noted as father or regal guardian......doable as he never has been.

6. A notarized statement from my daughter voicing herself, wanting to move to the UK with me and my sponsor...which I can provide

Are all of the above good ways to satisfy the ECO? Any other crucial documents that I should be aware of.

Its my understanding that having sole custody (granted to me) of my daughter in the US is enough to show she is and will be my responsibility till she reaches legal age , am I correct to feel that way after having read US child Custody is accepted in the UK.

a BIG thank you in advanced, I'm getting worried having read this is a very difficult way of clearance to the uk for my daughter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a Court Order signed by a judge that you have sole responsibility?
Yes I do! as a matter of fact the documents notarized by the court with a court stamp. (this was a requirement when obtaining a NEW bith certificate and NEW passport with her updated Last name

Will this be enough? Please advise on what more I can provide

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes I do! as a matter of fact the documents notarized by the court with a court stamp. (this was a requirement when obtaining a NEW bith certificate and NEW passport with her updated Last name

Will this be enough? Please advise on what more I can provide

Notorized documents are not the same as a Court Order signed by a judge but may be all your State offers in these cases and may carry the same weight.

Is the father named on the birth certificate

Note. I am not offering legal advice, however I was in a similar position.In my circumstances I petitioned the Court and obtained a Court Order signed by the judge that gave me sole parental responsibility. This was in a different State to yours so laws and process may differ.
I sent an original copy of the order with my immigration application and it was accepted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notorized documents are not the same as a Court Order signed by a judge but may be all your State offers in these cases and may carry the same weight.

Is the father named on the birth certificate

Note. I am not offering legal advice, however I was in a similar position.In my circumstances I petitioned the Court and obtained a Court Order signed by the judge that gave me sole parental responsibility. This was in a different State to yours so laws and process may differ.
I sent an original copy of the order with my immigration application and it was accepted.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. to clarify yes they are signed by a judge and stamped by the court.

Yes the father is listed on the birth certificate as he was there at birth. But the NEW birth certificate shows my daughters new last name which is mine.

So will this be enough to satisfy the ECO?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any possibility of getting the father to write a letter giving permission and notorized?

I dont think anyone knows what will satisfy the ECO, all you can do is give it your best shot.

None at all, he is available to write a statement If i really chased him down but he does not any form of ID.

another question, since my daughter is 11, will she need to voice herself? as in write a letter and have it notarized?

·
Registered
75 Posts
None at all, he is available to write a statement If i really chased him down but he does not any form of ID.

another question, since my daughter is 11, will she need to voice herself? as in write a letter and have it notarized?

My daughter who was 10 did write a very brief letter of introduction that I attached to mine. I do not know if it was needed but we thought it was relevant. Our letters were just signed by us and not notorized.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.