Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me to understand Social Security rates in Spain. I googled and came accross contradicting rates:

1) 23.60% from the employer and 4.7% from the employee - Seguridad Social:Trabajadores

2) 29.9% from the employer and 6.4% from the employee - some other English websites.

Which one is right?

And important question: where should these % be taken from - gross salary (after employer's social contribution) or from the total initial salary costs for the employer (before any deductions)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
All worked out from gross before any deductions.
The employers contribution has to have other bits added to it depending on contract type / health additions. The employers contribution works out at around 35% . This does NOT come out of your pay but is in addition..

I.E if you are on 1000 / month you pay your % which is taken from the 1000 & then tax. The employer pays 35%(approx) IN addition to the soc.sec.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

But why are there different % on different websites? I have seen only those exact two options (23.6 / 4.7 and 29.9 / 6.7) and nothing in between.

And also, where can I check online calculator for both employer and employee contributions? I need to find out exactly, where and how much money goes from my employer and myself. Tried googling and found only Calculadora - Sueldo neto | BBVA con tu empresa, which does not show employers Social contributions and "other bits".

·
Administrator
36,462 Posts
Thanks!

But why are there different % on different websites? I have seen only those exact two options (23.6 / 4.7 and 29.9 / 6.7) and nothing in between.

And also, where can I check online calculator for both employer and employee contributions? I need to find out exactly, where and how much money goes from my employer and myself. Tried googling and found only Calculadora - Sueldo neto | BBVA con tu empresa, which does not show employers Social contributions and "other bits".
it's different for different jobs

I was doing some translation work for a bar owner recently & the employer % payment was higher for a cook than for a server

·
Registered
381 Posts
it's different for different jobs

I was doing some translation work for a bar owner recently & the employer % payment was higher for a cook than for a server
The percentage is the same whatever the job. However, the maximum contribution is different according to the employee's position and there is a higher charge for a short term contract of less than 7 days.
Seguridad Social:Trabajadores

·
Administrator
36,462 Posts
The percentage is the same whatever the job. However, the maximum contribution is different according to the employee's position and there is a higher charge for a short term contract of less than 7 days.
Seguridad Social:Trabajadores
maybe that was it then - although they were longer than 7 day contracts...

I wasn't translating these docs - the gestor/accountant had produced them & explained them to the bar owner in English - she was just so horrified at how much it was costing her that she showed them to me!!

I just remember that, at a rough estimation, about 1/3 of the monthly costs for the cook were employer's contribution, but less for the servers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts