Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm American and I receive US Social Security for quite a few years. My wife and is not an American, nor does she have a Green Card. She is not on my Tax declaration neither.

I have spoken with the people in Marseille about if and when my wife get an American Social Security Pension. Yes, she can get a Pension but she (my wife) wait until she's eligble for her age. At the time I spoke with the people, we were talking about my wife needs to wait until she's 65 years old. She has turned 65 in this past September, so it's time. But, will she need until the new age is 67 years old for max Soc. Sec.?

Any comments would be helpful before I contact the Soc. Sec. again in Marseille. First, she's a Canadian. She lives in France, with me. I do not have her on my tax declaration and she's never lived in the US. She never makes any tax declaration to the US IRS ~ she's not required.

From what I was told, she doesn't make any tax declaration but her Pension will be taxed at source, ie, it will be taxed at about 30 / 40 % before sending the check.

Possibly some other members might have been into the same situation. We're not as unique as people would think. Yet, we're a perfect source of information.

Thanks for your comments.

Blackduff

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
As it so turns out, I have just be researching some of this on the Social Security website. Your wife's "full retirement age" depends on her date of birth. Retirement Age Calculator

There is also a section devoted to benefits payments to those living outside the US: International Programs- International Programs and Resources Unfortunately in several places they refer to stuff you can access online with a "my social security" account - however it seems that you must have a US mailing address to open one of those. (I've sent in a query asking what to do in the event that you live overseas and have no US mailing address. Will let you know if and when I hear anything on that.)

It shouldn't make a difference that she is not on your tax return - as long as you're filing as "married, filing separately." (Though whether they actually tie your SS benefits to your tax return is anyone's guess.) They do make a point of insisting that you advise them of your marital status.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
331 Posts
As it so turns out, I have just be researching some of this on the Social Security website. Your wife's "full retirement age" depends on her date of birth. Retirement Age Calculator

There is also a section devoted to benefits payments to those living outside the US: International Programs- International Programs and Resources Unfortunately in several places they refer to stuff you can access online with a "my social security" account - however it seems that you must have a US mailing address to open one of those. (I've sent in a query asking what to do in the event that you live overseas and have no US mailing address. Will let you know if and when I hear anything on that.)

It shouldn't make a difference that she is not on your tax return - as long as you're filing as "married, filing separately." (Though whether they actually tie your SS benefits to your tax return is anyone's guess.) They do make a point of insisting that you advise them of your marital status.
Cheers,
Bev
I was advised by SSA that the non-US spouse must have lived as your Spouse in the US for at least 3 years to be eligable for benefits off of your SSA contrabutions. Perhaps I was misinformed?

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Download this publication from Social Security. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#additional

Basically, there is a 5 year residence requirement for the non-citizen spouse - however, there are exceptions if your NRA spouse is a citizen of certain countries (including countries with which the US has a social security treaty). It's kind of explained in the download publication.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Presume from your post that you wife has not worked in the US, so her SS benefits are going to depend on YOUR contributions.

She won't get a full SS pension - I think it is 50% of what you receive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the people who posted. I have had problems to view the thread but today it works.

I ran the calculator for my wife's age and she needs to be 66 years old. Thats fine, it will give us a bit of time to massage the needs.

My wife has never lived in the US. We owned a sailboat in New York, so we spent most summer weekends were in the US but I think that it's not counted. I'll read the site which gives more information about US residences.

I've thought another item too. My wife and I lived together for quite some time and finally we married in Sweden. We have bought two houses as just partners and sold one of them. Together we have lived in Montreal, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and now France.

Thanks again. I have something to read this weekend.

Blackduff

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Please note that her monthly benefit will increase the longer she delays collecting Social Security until she reaches age 70. At age 70 her monthly benefit no longer will increase (except for cost of living adjustments).

If your wife is in good health and can wait to receive benefits (i.e. she is likely to live a long time and doesn't need the money), then it's an excellent idea to wait until age 70.

She may be able to sign up for U.S. Medicare starting three months before she reaches age 65. Medicare Part A is free, so there's no harm in signing up for Part A. (Perhaps no benefit if she never visits the U.S., but no harm.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts