Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my family and i have recently moved to america-dec 27, and wondered how long it takes to receive our social security numbers. thanks for any reply

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
my family and i have recently moved to america-dec 27, and wondered how long it takes to receive our social security numbers. thanks for any reply
What visa(s) are you on?

·
Registered
56 Posts
As far as I know, you won't receive "social security" numbers, as those are assigned to citizens of the United States, which you aren't. You should receive "taxpayer identification" numbers, and those take a few weeks to be received.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
As far as I know, you won't receive "social security" numbers, as those are assigned to citizens of the United States, which you aren't. You should receive "taxpayer identification" numbers, and those take a few weeks to be received.
Totally wrong!

Social security numbers are issued to those who have permission to work in the US. These include citizens, certain other nationals, permenant residents and some in non-immigrant status with permission to work.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
family sponsored visa
Ignore American Guy.

If your SSNs haven't arrived a couple of weeks after you've landed, it's time for a visit to the the local SSA office to find out what's happening. Take your passports, another form of ID......and a book to read while you are waiting.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Added:

Have a look at this form and make sure you take the answers and proofs with you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ssn

Added:

Have a look at this form and make sure you take the answers and proofs with you.
We landed Stateside on the 18th December. Our SSN arrived about 10 days later, our Perm Res Cards arrived two days later.

The key was ticking the 'send me a SSN' box on the DS230 when submitted.

Have you had the 'welcome to America' letter yet?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
We landed Stateside on the 18th December. Our SSN arrived about 10 days later, our Perm Res Cards arrived two days later.

The key was ticking the 'send me a SSN' box on the DS230 when submitted.

Have you had the 'welcome to America' letter yet?
Ticking the box sometimes works......and sometimes doesn't! Nobody knows why!

If it doesn't arrive after a fortnight, take a good novel to the SSA office.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts