Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, after some advice if anyone can help.

I've been in France a year. I was on a visa vacances travail, which let me work but not access the heath system (all types of public money), and as a result couldn't (according to French embassy in Australia) get a social security number. Regardless of whether or not I was previously entitled or even required to have one, I don't and have been working the past year.

Now, however, I have my recipisée for my CdS, and a relatively strong assurance I'll receive my CdS shortly, and I want to get a number, and a carte vitale and get assurance maladie etc. Does anyone have experience in how to go about getting your number? I've spent the better part of the last hour back-and-forth on the ss website, and have found nothing of note, I guess it's built for French people who will by default already have a number.

I'm planning on going in to talk with them, but thought I'd ask before I did in case anyone has had experience. I have to wait until I have a half day off work before I can go anyway, so forewarned is forearmed as they say.

I've heard on the grapevine (from foreign students etc) that normally they won't give it to you until you have your CdS and the recipisée won't do, but I've also heard that that is not the case.

Any advice is much appreciated.

G.

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
The way I got my number was when I got a "real" job for the first time. The employer is supposed to file a form called a DUE (Déclaration Unique d'Embauche) - which is where they "declare" you to all the appropriate caisses. If you don't have a social security number, URSSAF is supposed to set you up with one, according to the information filed on the DUE (which includes your carte de séjour number).

If you're still working at the same job you had on your vacances travail, you need to talk to someone in personnel to change your status. But the key to getting into the social insurance system (at least for a foreigner) is your first job in France.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.