Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some information. My mum is a Belgian national who has a very small pension. She is currently living in Brussels and continues to work to supplement her pension (only 280 Euros) a month.
She will be 66 next year and we have been considering buying a property where we could accommodate her with a separate self contained apartment. She would thus be living with us and would not have to worry about working to supplement her pension and to make ends meet which is rough when you are over 65.

What I would like to know is what can she expect in terms of health coverage ? Would she have to apply for french social security ? If she is living under our roof, can we consider her to be a dependent, thus making her eligible for social security under our names ? :confused:
As her pension is so minimal, she really wouldn't be able to continue living in Belgium, much as she would like to.:(

I know that many European pensioners retire in France, so obviously they benefit from french social security, but usually these people pay their taxes in France and have suitable incomes. In our case it's not the same. I doubt my mum would be taxed on her tiny pension. She has inquired in Belgium and the Belgium authorities told her she would need to apply for a E121 form which would allow her to transfer from the Belgain secu to the French SECU. I have also heard about a European social security card, but I'm not sure that applies to people who are living in a country on a permanent basis.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
As I understand it, the E121 form the Belgians told her to apply for is what they now refer to as the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). As an EU national and retired, she is entitled to be covered in France on the same basis as someone who has lived and worked in France all their lives and is now retired.

There should be some archived threads here about EHIC for retired people in France. Or, check with your local URSSAF or Ameli office. Or (seriously) ask at the town hall. They often have an URSSAF person in once or twice a week to field questions exactly like yours.

It is also possible to take on your mother as a dependent, especially if she is living with you. I don't have the details, but if you used any kind of tax book to do your French taxes last year, check on what the requirements are. I know several people living here in France who claim a parent as a dependent on their taxes. It's not that difficult to do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I think my best bet is to personally go to the local social security office and speak to someone directly who can "hopefully"answer all my questions. What you say is encouraging though, as the information I had was less positive. I wonder if the law has changed or if I was simply misinformed; I will probably know more after speaking to someone directly.

Cheers,
Louna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.