Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a family of 4 - my husband (MBA, healthcare IT professional), me (stay home mom), and our children ages 4 and 2. We are all US citizens.

I have been Googling and not finding exactly what I'm searching for. Here are my questions:

INCOME TAX IN US & UK?
My husband's job allows him to work from home (or anywhere) 100%. We would love to spend a few months living in or near London. Would he have to pay tax on his salary in both the US & UK if we were visiting for less than 6 months?

VISA APPLICATION CLOSED?
I also checked and the visa application is currently closed. When is it expected to reopen?

NURSING SCHOOL
I am planning on attending nursing school in the US, but if we are in the UK I would consider attending there. If I am accepted, and able to obtain a student visa (general) would it typically also allow my family to remain as well?

PRIMARY SCHOOL
If we are not legal residents of the UK would our children be able to attend public school in the UK? If not, what exactly is required for them to attend? Here in the US she is scheduled to begin kindergarten next fall.

STAY & RE-ENTER UK
If we can stay in the UK for up to 6 months without a visa, if we leave for a few days and then come back can we re-enter for another 6 months? (for instance, go to Greece or something) If not, how does that work?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Your best shot is a student visa but I don't know that you can bring your entire family over on a student visa; someone else can better answer that.

I'm not sure what visa you were looking at that was currently closed.

If your husband or you can get a company to sponsor you, you might have a chance but those visas are very rare; his job has to be on the occupational shortage list. Your husband can not work in England without a work visa - even if that employer is in the USA.

You can't come for six months, go to the continent for a few days, and return. That is called a visa run and the immigration officers don't tolerate them. Furthermore, you're allowed only six months in twelve, and that is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Lastly, your children can not attend public school on a visitor visa.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
To spend a few months living in or around London would pretty much preclude you from any sort of work visa - work visas are difficult to come by and ask for specific skills. Sponsorship by an employer is the easier route but would your husband's employer go to the effort of sponsoring him just for 6 months?

If you enter the UK on a visitor's visa neither you nor your husband can work. You are eligible to enter for up to 6 months in a 12 month period on a visitor's visa, so no, spending 6 months in the UK will mean you cannot leave go to Europe and return.

While on a visitor's visa children would not be eligible to go to local community school in the UK - you could pay privately for them. In addition none of you would be eligible for the NHS so would need private medical insurance.

According to the UKBA site for Tier 4 (student visa general) you cannot bring family while on this visa unless it is for a higher education institution or a course lasting longer than 6 months.

UK Border Agency | Can you bring your family?

Other info for Tier 4 is also below:

UK Border Agency | Adult students - Tier 4 (General)

You should research Nursing Colleges in the UK to find out what would be required of you to become eligible.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Your plans are really unworkable. The biggest is the visa issue. US citizens have restricted rights to do anything other than visiting (sightseeing, seeing friends, following sports etc). For doing anything else, especially involving work, you need an appropriate visa which, as stated, is tough to come by. We have UK citizens, EEA citizens and those already settled here (with the equivalent of green card) who all get the first pick of any job or work opportunities, and still high unemployment.

If you seriously want a long-term (several years at least) relocation, I think the best bet is some kind of sponsored work visa for your husband with his professional qualification and experience. There are several US healthcare providers operating in UK, so if he works for one of them, after a year or two, there may be a chance of intra-company transfer, which is the easiest sort of work visa to get. If he qualifies, then the rest of the family can come as dependants, and you can work (or volunteer or study nursing - full fees payable as you won't get bursary like UK students) and your children can attend free state schools. You will also be eligible for free NHS care, though the government is planning a levy for foreigners until they get their settlement (green card, after 5 years).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.