Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last year I had intentions of moving to Spain and never did for a fear of not finding a job. That fear is still very realistic but I'm deciding to make the move knowing that I have more than enough funds to last 6-8months if I for whatever reason cannot find a job.

A background on me, I'm in my late 20s, no children, no spouse, I have dual Spanish citizenship, a DNI, a savings account already set up for a couple of years now with Santander bank in Spain, I currently have over 30k$USD(I assume roughly 22,000 euros or so) saved up for "emergency fund", apartments in two different locations Ourense and Vigo, Galicia which are owned by family members(and currently not being rented) so my rent would be "low"(and they'd understand it if I miss one month's rent pay haha jk) so I can search for job opportunities in both places.

My Spanish is "perfect" as obviously is my English. I'd be going without a job obviously which seems to be the biggest risk but I've found that I am not happy where I'm at in my life right now and need a change. There is no saying moving to Spain will make me happy but it has always been where I've felt "most at home." Speaking to US expats online who are currently in Spain they all are very positive to me finding a job in Spain based on my background and my work experience.(I have almost 10 years experience working in logistics, import/exporting).

While I'm job hunting in Spain I'll look to make some income by tutoring on the side where I already have a bit of "word of mouth" students interested and lined-up. Teaching has always been a passion of mine(I originally started university to become an English teacher) but ended up switching to business instead so I'm fully aware that knowing English/Spanish does not make you a good teacher, but as a manager I'm always teaching new workers and I think I do a good job of that. :)

Anyways....... I'm sorry for boring you all with this :) Just wanted to give a little update on my situation and hope to hear some feedback (good or bad is very welcome!) I'm excited and a little scared but happy that I'm finally doing something with my life.

A couple of random questions that I can't seem to find a clear answer online that maybe you all can assist with?

Healthcare? I know in Spain you kind of "pay into it" no? If I am without a job is there a way to get into the healthcare system, or do I need to be an employee of a company?

Driver's license? I know that "homologar" a USA Driver's license is not possible or is it? If not, would I still be able to purchase a second hand car BEFORE acquiring a valid driver's license? If I had to have said car inspected at the ITV do they require a drivers license?

Is there anything else I would need to do when I get to Spain? I'd need to get the número de asociación de seguridad social correct? Would this entitle me to healthcare?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So, altho you're American, you're also an EU citizen! Spain will want you to prove you have an income or funds and that you have healthcare provision. so until you get a job with a contract, you will need private medical cover. Apart from paying to be self employed (autonomo), theres no other way to get into the system....... and maybe thats something you should look into, if only because the "cash in hand" teaching work you mention is illegal and you risk getting caught (the Spanish authorities are coming down fairly heavy on this at the moment) - why not look into becoming a self employed teacher?????

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I posted last year I had intentions of moving to Spain and never did for a fear of not finding a job. That fear is still very realistic but I'm deciding to make the move knowing that I have more than enough funds to last 6-8months if I for whatever reason cannot find a job.

A background on me, I'm in my late 20s, no children, no spouse, I have dual Spanish citizenship, a DNI, a savings account already set up for a couple of years now with Santander bank in Spain, I currently have over 30k$USD(I assume roughly 22,000 euros or so) saved up for "emergency fund", apartments in two different locations Ourense and Vigo, Galicia which are owned by family members(and currently not being rented) so my rent would be "low"(and they'd understand it if I miss one month's rent pay haha jk) so I can search for job opportunities in both places.

My Spanish is "perfect" as obviously is my English. I'd be going without a job obviously which seems to be the biggest risk but I've found that I am not happy where I'm at in my life right now and need a change. There is no saying moving to Spain will make me happy but it has always been where I've felt "most at home." Speaking to US expats online who are currently in Spain they all are very positive to me finding a job in Spain based on my background and my work experience.(I have almost 10 years experience working in logistics, import/exporting).

While I'm job hunting in Spain I'll look to make some income by tutoring on the side where I already have a bit of "word of mouth" students interested and lined-up. Teaching has always been a passion of mine(I originally started university to become an English teacher) but ended up switching to business instead so I'm fully aware that knowing English/Spanish does not make you a good teacher, but as a manager I'm always teaching new workers and I think I do a good job of that. :)

Anyways....... I'm sorry for boring you all with this :) Just wanted to give a little update on my situation and hope to hear some feedback (good or bad is very welcome!) I'm excited and a little scared but happy that I'm finally doing something with my life.

A couple of random questions that I can't seem to find a clear answer online that maybe you all can assist with?

Healthcare? I know in Spain you kind of "pay into it" no? If I am without a job is there a way to get into the healthcare system, or do I need to be an employee of a company?

Driver's license? I know that "homologar" a USA Driver's license is not possible or is it? If not, would I still be able to purchase a second hand car BEFORE acquiring a valid driver's license? If I had to have said car inspected at the ITV do they require a drivers license?

Is there anything else I would need to do when I get to Spain? I'd need to get the número de asociación de seguridad social correct? Would this entitle me to healthcare?

This is quite an interesting one for me so I will watch the responses with interest.

As a Spanish national (with DNI) I would assume that you can get healthcare relatively easily as you are not earning more than 100k per year and given that you have been in Spain for some time (they don't need to know that you went to America :rolleyes:).

As for a driving licence, I think you will have to take a new test. I don't know if you can replace a US licence for a Spanish one. Your licence will not get 'inspected' at the ITV centre but I think you will need an international permit to get your car there.

Best of luck. I suspect that finding a job will be far more difficult.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, altho you're American, you're also an EU citizen! Spain will want you to prove you have an income or funds and that you have healthcare provision. so until you get a job with a contract, you will need private medical cover. Apart from paying to be self employed (autonomo), theres no other way to get into the system....... and maybe thats something you should look into, if only because the "cash in hand" teaching work you mention is illegal and you risk getting caught (the Spanish authorities are coming down fairly heavy on this at the moment) - why not look into becoming a self employed teacher?????

Jo xxx

Hi Jo thank you for the reply, yes thanks to my parents I have dual citizenships and have been visiting spain every year for as long as I can remember. :)
While the teaching work I do mention is illegal I do have to disagree on the Spanish authorities coming down heavy on those particular people. The cracking down they are doing is on the much greater scale and not on such a small scale as someone tutoring kids on the side. I'm not saying that "just because everyone does it" makes it ok, but most everyone I've spoken to that is teaching English in Spain has done it at some point or still does. As for looking to becoming a self employed teacher I neither have the certifications nor the "titulacion" to do so and it is not something that I'm looking to make a career out of.

This is quite an interesting one for me so I will watch the responses with interest.

As a Spanish national (with DNI) I would assume that you can get healthcare relatively easily as you are not earning more than 100k per year and given that you have been in Spain for some time (they don't need to know that you went to America :rolleyes:).

As for a driving licence, I think you will have to take a new test. I don't know if you can replace a US licence for a Spanish one. Your licence will not get 'inspected' at the ITV centre but I think you will need an international permit to get your car there.

Best of luck. I suspect that finding a job will be far more difficult.
Hello Snikpoh thank you for that information that is exactly what I was looking for as for finding a job I agree that will be the far more difficult part and I'm fully aware of the risks involved. My friends in Spain and from other ex-pats I've found through blogs and such have all told me that while yes the job search may be difficult I shouldn't be to concerned about finding some source of income in terms of work just based on my background and such. I know the big part of Spain is "enchufes" so that is why I'm networking heavily now so it can pay off hopefully later.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

No you can not exchange an American driving licence for a Spanish one - only EU licences can be exchanged.

Davexf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts