Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My children and I have UK citizenship (as well as US), but my husband does not. Therefore we are confused about his rights--does he have to apply as a US citizen for the carte de sejour and therefore get a long stay visa as well?
OR is it different for him because he is married to me (and I have the UK citizenship)?
If he has to do the US angle then we may be in trouble as I just read he should have gotten his long stay visa whilst still in the USA and he did NOT!!
ANY ADVICE OR TIPS??!!??!!
Thanks,
Beth

G

·
The non-EU citizen married to a Brit living in France doesn't apply for a long stay visa - your husband should apply for a Schengen visa from the States, and once he has this, he has to apply for a carte de séjour within 90 days of arrival.

It's only a non-EU spouse married to a French citizen living in France that has to apply for the long stay visa directly (with no subsequent need for a carte de séjour).

So - sorry - technically the process has to start with the Schengen visa. But then again, a US citizen doesn't have an actual Schengen visa as such, as he has the automatic right of entry for a maximum of 90 days. How long has he been in France?

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Because he is married to an EU national, your husband can enter France on the standard visitor's 90 day thing without having to apply for a visa in the US. Now that he's here, he should apply for a carte de séjour - but it should be more or less automatically granted.

He'll need to produce all his own documents, plus whatever is needed to document your UK nationality. Go to the local mairie and ask. They'll probably send you to the prefecture, but chances are they'll at least be able to give you a list of what documents to take with you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar situation - advice pls

My husband and kids all have UK citizenship. I have Canadian and US. We are planning to move to France later this year from Canada. Do I need a long stay visa? Can I enter directly and then apply for a carte de sejour? Will I be able to work? Should I post this somewhere else?
Thanks,

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband and kids all have UK citizenship. I have Canadian and US. We are planning to move to France later this year from Canada. Do I need a long stay visa? Can I enter directly and then apply for a carte de sejour? Will I be able to work? Should I post this somewhere else?
Thanks,
Hello,
We have yet to get down the street to apply for the carte de sejour so I can't be 100% certain, but I was told we would just need our marriage certificate and passports, not a long stay visa after all. You have three months in France before you have to apply for a carte de sejour. I think once you get it you then are allowed to work.
I hope someone more informed responds as well.
Good luck with the move,
Beth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! Just to be clear, b/c in that link it says passport and visa are required to enter France - that's only if a visa is required for the country you're from - i.e. a Canadian wouldn't need a visa, right?

G

·
Yes for North Americans the passport stamp on arrival is equivalent to the visa, and implies that you are in the Schengen countries for the period of time, and under the conditions of, the Schengen short-stay (3 month) visa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you, Pete. One (of many, I'm sure...) more question: Once I'm in France, I apply for the carte de sejour, but I imagine the three months will expire before the carte is issued? Am I allowed to stay while waiting for it?

Thank you!!

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Thank you, Pete. One (of many, I'm sure...) more question: Once I'm in France, I apply for the carte de sejour, but I imagine the three months will expire before the carte is issued? Am I allowed to stay while waiting for it?

Thank you!!
With any kind of luck, it won't take the full three months to get your carte de séjour - but in the meantime you should get a récippissée (that's not spelt right - but it means "receipt" in French). You're "street legal" with the receipt until your carte de séjour comes through.
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
I asked the Mairie for a receipt for my wife's CdS application (while waiting for the récépissé to turn up), but was told "no problem, it won't be long". Presumably that means that in the meantime we're not street legal, seeing as the visa ran out three days ago... typical France.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.