Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having been brought up in kenya I'm all to aware of the presents of snakes and other biting things.

Some very dangerous and others not, they live mainly in the bush and rarely come in the human areas.

Is this the case in Oz or are they much more bolder.

Having three young children how much would I have to be careful about letting them play outdoors?

Are children taught the dangers of these things at school?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Ant:

It depends where you live in AU, if you have lots of bushland around you then you get all sorts of animals in there.

However the main issues from dangerous animals are:
1. Spiders - even in cities you can have some poisonous ones (i.e. funnelweb). It's actually the little small ones that are like that, big spiders that look scary are not usually poisonous (i.e. Huntsman).
2. Jellyfish - depending on the season. If you see a beach full of people and no one in it then please look for a 'jellyfish sign' or ask a lifeguard. Most of them can hurt alot but with children they can be more dangerous than just pain (as the pain comes from the jellyfish toxin). Even in Sydney there are days during the summer where you don't go in if there is a jellyfish mass moving through, doesn't last all season, just a few days sometimes. i.e. bluebottles

having been brought up in kenya I'm all to aware of the presents of snakes and other biting things.

Some very dangerous and others not, they live mainly in the bush and rarely come in the human areas.

Having three young children how much would I have to be careful about letting them play outdoors?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi
in some posts ive read, people reccomend full toe shoes just incase you come across something not so nice in the grass!

also with regard to spiders, some say leave the occasional daddy long leg type around your house as their teeth cannot penitrate human skin, but they keep away the more nasty types (and i had heard huntsman were considered nasty) not sure if correct but dolly found a nice huntsman in her mail box! i think the key is try to always be aware.....
i have heard you can have people out to spray the house and this helps....
good hoovering throughout should also be a regular duty,
my kids have a healthy "awarnesss" of spiders and i think its good to encourage the "dont touch" aproach, we are working with that now, just as id say, dont touch a stray dog in the street unless in comes fussing you .... (if the spider comes fussing you....run! lol):eek:

as for snakes, i keep snakes and most are happy if left alone, you go poking prodding or annoying them and they are going to retaliate, but if you make a noisy journey from your a to b... my opinium is they would get out the way,most do not wish for confrontation, of course this is only my opinium.
its the crocks and jellies that are my main concern!:eek:

the pros and cons of a different country:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Awareness of snakes and spiders is just something we grow up with. I don't remember if I was taught it in school or not, but I do know that my parents definitely educated me about them: "Oi!! What do you think you're doing??!!? Don't go putting your hand inside that hollow log!! Are you bloody stupid or something?!?!!?"

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Antsimpson:

I think your kids will be fine with the small insects and such as you are already educating them about it. Another very important thing to educate them about is water safety. Especially swimming pools, rip currents (currents in the water that pull you out to sea), and having adults watching. Every year there are tragic accidents with little children who manage to get into swimming pools without an adult around even when there are fences around them. So speaking patiently and repeatedly about these things will help keep them safe.

Also if you are living in a coastal area look for something called 'nippers'. These are activities for kids that promote fun on the beach and have lots of safety instruction too. When my child is old enough I look forward to having her in nippers.
Nippers

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
(and i had heard huntsman were considered nasty) not sure if correct but dolly found a nice huntsman in her mail box! i think the key is try to always be aware.....
We've been told that huntsman are not dangerous or nasty but they are big and scary. The first time I've ever been struck dumb (literally I could only make noises) was when I saw a huntsman sitting on my husbands shoulder. I could only point and gibber (and I don't like spiders).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts