Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the paper version (can be viewed on-line) of this weeks Olive Press - a letter writer (page 22) is complaining about smokers on the open terrace of a restaurant and states
I then advised them that the smoking laws had been strengthened greatly since January 1 and that smoking is banned in any part of a restaurant/bar.
I haven't heard this and I can't find anything out about it. Anyone know anything?

I think it's probably BS.

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts
In the paper version (can be viewed on-line) of this weeks Olive Press - a letter writer (page 22) is complaining about smokers on the open terrace of a restaurant and states

I haven't heard this and I can't find anything out about it. Anyone know anything?

I think it could be

can't find anything by googling at all & my most frequented bar still has smokers outside.............in a totally enclosed 'room' made of awnings (which as we all know isn't strictly allowed according to the law we do know about ;))

·
Registered
19,437 Posts

could you tell us what page the letter is on, please?

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Page 22.:)

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts

·
Registered
19,437 Posts

After my dimwit moment...
I did a search for ley antitabaco españa 2012 and the only thing I got back was articles refering to the first report about the law that was introduced in Jan 2011, so it would seem that the letter writer indeed, does not know what he/ she is talking about.
In fact I had heard the opposite, that Rajoy was talking about relaxing the anti smoking laws in order to curry favour with bar owners and smokers.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think the original newspaper article was a complaint written by someone who would like to think no smoking is allowed in open areas outside restaurants. I have heard no such rules,
The ultimate moaner I ever came across was on a quiet beach in Australia, the people who sat about 10yds behind me in the open air- not even a restaurant, complained in a nasty way when I lit a cigarette, said the smoke was blowing their way. So I put out my cigarette, we moved behind them a few yards and I lit up again. They just looked at me with the 'evil eye', and said 'p*ss of you ba**ard, so I just retorted don't use bad language like that in front of the kids they were sitting with, and finished my cig. They were just neurotic so and so's.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I have to say that on a recent trip to Spain, it seems that the ban has slipped a little. In the town where we used to live theres a designated smoking bar and a few others out in the campo. Even the guardia were in one having a *** with their cafe con leche! It took me a while to feel brave enough to light up, but everyone else was so.......... It didnt feel right tho, I think I've got used to going outside for one now. The friends I was with are non smokers and normally live in France. They were saying that in France they've got round the law by turning some bars into private clubs.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the original newspaper article was a complaint written by someone who would like to think no smoking is allowed in open areas outside restaurants. I have heard no such rules,
The ultimate moaner I ever came across was on a quiet beach in Australia, the people who sat about 10yds behind me in the open air- not even a restaurant, complained in a nasty way when I lit a cigarette, said the smoke was blowing their way. So I put out my cigarette, we moved behind them a few yards and I lit up again. They just looked at me with the 'evil eye', and said 'p*ss of you ba**ard, so I just retorted don't use bad language like that in front of the kids they were sitting with, and finished my cig. They were just neurotic so and so's.
Yes - a lot of people are 'seeing' things they want to see.

Non-smokers are imagining new laws which make it illegal to smoke in any part of a bar/restaurant whereas smokers are imagining a 'designated smoking bar' (designated by whom I wonder?).

I live in Spain all the time, I run a bar in the campo and I can tell you (and I have no axe to grind) that there is no rule that says you can't smoke on an open terrace and (apart from surreptitious wrong-doing) no-one smokes in any bar I've ever been in - and that's many.

Time for people to stop imagining stuff. (Or maybe tell me which is the designated bar in which town so I can go and check for myself - which I will).

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I have to say that on a recent trip to Spain, it seems that the ban has slipped a little. In the town where we used to live theres a designated smoking bar and a few others out in the campo. Even the guardia were in one having a *** with their cafe con leche! It took me a while to feel brave enough to light up, but everyone else was so.......... It didnt feel right tho, I think I've got used to going outside for one now. The friends I was with are non smokers and normally live in France. They were saying that in France they've got round the law by turning some bars into private clubs.

Jo xxx
Somebody told me about this in Barcelona. You buy a membership for a euro and at a set time, after lunch or dinner, you can light up.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yes - a lot of people are 'seeing' things they want to see.

Non-smokers are imagining new laws which make it illegal to smoke in any part of a bar/restaurant whereas smokers are imagining a 'designated smoking bar' (designated by whom I wonder?).

I live in Spain all the time, I run a bar in the campo and I can tell you (and I have no axe to grind) that there is no rule that says you can't smoke on an open terrace and (apart from surreptitious wrong-doing) no-one smokes in any bar I've ever been in - and that's many.

Time for people to stop imagining stuff. (Or maybe tell me which is the designated bar in which town so I can go and check for myself - which I will).

You always get in a bit of a tizz when we talk about smoking bars lol. I'm not imagining anything, why would I!!! I've gotta be honest, I dont know names. But the one in Alhaurin de la torre was on the main street, I didnt go in that one but my friends who have lived there for many years pointed it out, we actually went to a non smoking bar cos it was in the sun and we sat outside. The other three were in the Nerja area and were music venues. The one with the two guardia chaps was just off the main motorway and was a British bar, altho the customers were a good mixture of Brits, German and spanish. One of the others was down a long track in the middle of nowhere and Spanish owned . They were having a BBQ outside and the other was close to the beach to the west of Nerja (not a tourist part tho) and was behind a sort of car/caravan park.

In the UK, what seems to have happened is bars now tend to put alot of effort into their outside smoking areas. patio heaters, sound speakers, tvs, walls, plants, tables chairs, ashtrays and are the main hub of a lot of pubs, but its settled in the UK. People dont smoke inside. Sadly it does tend to mean that when the weathers bad, people dont go out.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Years ago, when in Singapore zoo, whilst taking pictures of the orang utan enclosure (people were in an open space, as were the orang utans), I lit a cig... a few seconds later a large American woman said in a loud voice "Ohhh my Gawd..... someone's smoking here... that is disgusting"

I then informed her that Singapore had not banned smoking in open spaces and she replied that she found people who smoke disgusting......to which I replied that i found the the apperance of of grossly overweight people disgusting....she shouted for her husband.... to no effect... he had already beat a hasty retreat to the nearest toilet....you can't blame the man:ranger:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts