Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack the other thread about VPN as it might not be relevant anyway so here goes.

At present, I have a computer connected to the TV and use UnoTelly DNS so that I can use the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc as well as Sky Go and BT Sport. At present these all work fairly well, but the TV is getting on now and I think a new TV would probably save quite a bit on electric as the present one is a 50" plasma dating back from 2006.

So I was thinking of getting a smart TV to replace it and figured that if I got one of these and used UNOtelly on it, I would possibly be able to download the iplayers etc as well as Sky Go and BT Sport, which both have android apps. The question is, Can I if I buy a Smart TV from here in Spain?

Obviously if I buy a smart TV it would be senseless buying an android box as well hence the question. No point buying an extra box to do what the TV does in the first place, albeit some android boxes come loaded with stuff to watch millions of channels. I don't need all that, just the ability to have what I have now as family have all the Sky and BT subscriptions that I can use.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hmm. I have a smart TV and never use the smart features. As an example as to why, Netflix picture quality is never as good as when I watch it on a computer connected to the TV, or through an XBOX connected to the same TV. And it's slow to load and switch between apps.

That said, if you want to go the Smart TV route you can buy it in Spain but you'll have to set it up as being in the UK, at least, that's how it works with Samsungs. They load apps depending on where in the world you are, so a Samsung configured as though it's in the Middle East, for example, will not load iPlayer. No great hassles, there's a workaround for these things.

Mine's a about 3 years old so maybe things have improved, but I like the versatility of a computer and wouldn't buy another smart TV.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've read that smart tvs are getting smarter because they're adopting operating systems like android instead of whatever the TV manufacturer has concocted, but if a smart tv is effectively going to be an android box inside the tv then I'd rather have a dumb tv with an external android box.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've read that smart tvs are getting smarter because they're adopting operating systems like android instead of whatever the TV manufacturer has concocted, but if a smart tv is effectively going to be an android box inside the tv then I'd rather have a dumb tv with an external android box.
So, I said that I wouldn't buy another smart TV, but I did acknowledge that my last purchase was more than 3 years ago and maybe things have changed.

On hearing the news that smart TVs have improved by running Android any doubt in my mind has been settled. There is no way I'd buy a TV running Android.

I'm with you on this one Chopera. (But I wouldn't use an Android box)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts