Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some know, I started my process last year, after lots of back and forth with the mairie, got my paperwork done and had my interview at the prefecture in November. After that, I was asked for two more papers, which after lots of nail biting and cursing, arrived in time.

Today i received a letter about my french birth certificate. They need to know if my first and middle name is one long prenom (like Jean-Philip) or name, name. Plus they also need to ensure that the information they have (birth certificate info, previous marriage and divorce) are all correct. I just need to sign and send off, and then wait again.

So I'm taking this as a good sign, otherwise why do they need this info?

One bit of advice I have for anyone getting ready to go through with naturalization aside from patience, get an apostle for anything that you can (all state papers like birth certificate, past marriages/divorces, etc). Seriously, I was told I needed them, then told I didn't, then at the last minute was told again I did. Getting them ahead of time really will save some headache and waiting time, cause you never know how long it will take (postal service).

One more thing, get everything translated that is in a foreign language, even if you think it isn't necessary or someone says you don't need it done. Because what one person says, the next person down the line is going to tell you the exact opposite, believe me I've been there too many times on that lol.

Now crossing my fingers. My resident card is up in March 2016, and I really don't want to pay and do all that work while waiting for this to finish.

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
Congratulations! If they're asking you for that picky kind of stuff I think it's pretty safe to assume you're in the home stretch. Some day soon, when you least expect it, you'll get something in the mail saying you're (almost) French. (I think these days they insist you aren't really French until you go through the ceremony and all.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Congratulations, Carlene.

As for me, I still don't have my French birth certificate (after 16 months!) - clearly lost somewhere between the Tribunal d'Instance and Nantes. The Tribunal has sent the file and covering letter to Nantes again, so here's hoping :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts