Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow sandpitters. I am here in the UAE for a year & a half. I'm planning to leave soon but regardless of this I am interested in trying to look toward the future by means of investment. Knowing nothing about where to start, I turn to you, for advice. I would ideally be looking to find a opportunity where I could invest a minimal one-time amount. As I said, I don't know if that's possible but I'm hoping you could help! Of course all replies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
So how long is a piece of thread?

You could invest in my company. Only for a small one time investment, I promise you 100% p.a. return year on year for however long you keep the money ;)

On a more serious note, "investment" is a big word which has lots of connotations.
Decide on your risk appetite (high risk, high return; low risk, low return; and everything in between) and objectives (is it just for growth? is it for your retirement?)
Based on which you can think of asset classes (so real estate, stocks, bonds, etc.)
Then think of whether you want to be an active or a passive investor (so whether invest through mutual funds, or direct investments etc; if its real estate, may require some monitoring etc etc)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could invest in my company. Only for a small one time investment, I promise you 100% p.a. return year on year for however long you keep the money ;)

On a more serious note, "investment" is a big word which has lots of connotations.
Decide on your risk appetite (high risk, high return; low risk, low return; and everything in between) and objectives (is it just for growth? is it for your retirement?)
Based on which you can think of asset classes (so real estate, stocks, bonds, etc.)
Then think of whether you want to be an active or a passive investor (so whether invest through mutual funds, or direct investments etc; if its real estate, may require some monitoring etc etc)[/QUOTE]
It would be for growth of income for myself. Lets say for a rainy day. I would like to have minimal input but have the control to opt out after some time. Can you tell me more. What do you think (though of course it depends on what is invested in) is a small yet sizable amount to put forward.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
you cant honestly expect answers to these questions on the forum here, do you?

Going by your questions, I imagine you have zero experience in investing. Look for mutual funds - open ended. I would suggest look for something back home. Look for "balanced" funds which look at both equity and debt.

"small"- HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF THREAD
think about the sum of money you would not mind losing (or if lost would not destroy you) and invest it. You could invest either lump sum, or a small amount monthly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As rsinner says... back home... where there is at least some regulation as to what constitutes "sound advice"... and resonable rates to quote... rather than just the highest percentage figure I think you'll believe.

I believe there are several companies around here just looking and waiting for people just like you... They will happily promise you whatever you like... whilst 80%+ of your money vanishes into "start-up" costs (commission)... and selling you a 10 year fixed term...

I do recall being offered a guaranteed 35% return (carbon credits) by some company in MOE a couple of years ago... When I suggested that anybody guaranteeing 35% was probably running a ponzi scheme he seemed extremely offended... they were already being investigated in the UK and are now having issues in the UAE... Apparently they are easy to buy... but almost impossible to sell/crystallize/pull-out.

This place is chock full of boiler room operations (many masquerading as respectable companies) flogging scotch mist to the unsuspecting.

Caveat Emptor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.