Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that no matter how small your business may be, one needs to have a trading licence and a local sponsor supporting your business. And the cost of such set up is 27k dhms annually. Which is fine if one is actually trading goods.

What is the UAE government stand on starting a small community activity like a book club or summer camp for 3 months duration? Will it be considered as business. I am planning one so... To recover my expenditure I may charge 50-100 dhms which barely covers the cost. Will this be considered business? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,079 Posts
So I know that no matter how small your business may be, one needs to have a trading licence and a local sponsor supporting your business. And the cost of such set up is 27k dhms annually. Which is fine if one is actually trading goods.

What is the UAE government stand on starting a small community activity like a book club or summer camp for 3 months duration? Will it be considered as business. I am planning one so... To recover my expenditure I may charge 50-100 dhms which barely covers the cost. Will this be considered business? :confused:
Hi,
If you charge money - then it is a commercial service. If something goes wrong with your service or someone gets injured - they will expect to make a claim on your 3rd party insurance.
Without a proper business licence you wont be able to get insurance. If you run a business without insurance, you are leaving yourself very open to a police case, jail, bankruptcy etc.
You really need to think this through properly!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about things like running an eBay type business? I used to have one and could see my wife wanting one as the little guy gets older and requires less constant attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is really a book club! I have a collection of about 200 books which I wish to share with other people. I might add more books depending on the response. A trade licence in such matters seems too much. An activity like this would be viewed more as a community activity rather than a commercial activity. And there seem to be very limited official sources where one can find out first hand about the laws on the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. No, actually I have a very specific activity on mind, which is a book club and mainly I was planning to charge just for the sake of maintenance and responsibility on the part of those I lend the books to, that's all. A trade licence for this? I don't know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts