Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I really like your forum... it's so helpful!:clap2:

I recently was offered an architecture internship in Paris (YAY!) for 6-9 months. I have just graduated from school in May 2009 (I am from the US) and am no longer a student. I thought I would be applicable, at first, for the "long stay intern visa," but read a bit more and discovered I would need to be a student.

So, now I am looking into the "long stay work visa." The office I will work for has never had an intern from the US (only EU interns) and doesn't know anything about non-student, non-EU visas. So, I am on my own in figuring out how the process will work. I'm a bit scared, because the requirements for the "long stay work visa" require the employer to "draw up a work contract."

Could anyone help me to understand what this means. It's my job to tell my employer what they need to do/fill out. I am scared I am going to worry them and even cause them to retract the job opportunity... and I, desperately, do not want that to happen.

Any help would so wonderful!
Best,
Allison

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
Hi Allison, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you may simply not be eligible for a long-stay visa with work privileges under your current circumstances. For any sort of work visa, your employer has to start the process by submitting your employment contract (everyone has an employment contract in France, even if only an implied one) to the OFII (Office Français de l'Immigration). Send your potential employer to OFII - Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration and tell them to click on the link on the left that says "Recruter un étranger" for the details.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, however, as I don't think it's likely they'll approve a visa for someone who will essentially be on a CDD (contrat durée déterminé) - i.e. a short term job with a fixed duration. If they are willing to offer you a CDI (permanent job), they will have to justify hiring someone from outside the EU over all possible French and EU candidates. It's possible to get a visa as a stagière (i.e. intern) however you need the backing of your school for that if you're coming from outside the EU, and as I understand it, the internship has to be part of your academic program. (That's not the case for stagieres coming from within the EU.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Allison!

I would like to ask how you resolved your dilemma because I am in the same situation now. I am offered a one year internship but my school can only provide me with 6 months. The remaining 6 months, I have to find a way. Like you, I don't want to lose the opportunity just because of the administrative bottlenecks...

I hope someone can give me advice.

Merci beaucoup!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allison, I did an internship (Stage) in Marseille several years ago. It was organized through the French American Chamber of Commerce in New York and was actually really very simple. You should contact them immediately as I was just told by them that they still do this for college gratuates. Not sure about the school situation but I do know that I did not attend a school in France during the intership...it was completely post-graduate internship.
Hope this helps.

Hello everyone! I really like your forum... it's so helpful!:clap2:

I recently was offered an architecture internship in Paris (YAY!) for 6-9 months. I have just graduated from school in May 2009 (I am from the US) and am no longer a student. I thought I would be applicable, at first, for the "long stay intern visa," but read a bit more and discovered I would need to be a student.

So, now I am looking into the "long stay work visa." The office I will work for has never had an intern from the US (only EU interns) and doesn't know anything about non-student, non-EU visas. So, I am on my own in figuring out how the process will work. I'm a bit scared, because the requirements for the "long stay work visa" require the employer to "draw up a work contract."

Could anyone help me to understand what this means. It's my job to tell my employer what they need to do/fill out. I am scared I am going to worry them and even cause them to retract the job opportunity... and I, desperately, do not want that to happen.

Any help would so wonderful!
Best,
Allison

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.