Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day , My wife and I are considering relocating permanently to France , I am 62 and my wife 60 .
We would I think be classed as early retirees as we do not plan to work or run a business, we do have a private pension that we will use until our Uk state pension starts . My question is ,will we qualify for the French healthcare system and what would we need to do to register . Will the U.K. NHS benefit be transferred to enable qualification for French healthcare . There seems to be so much confusing information on websites .
Thanks in advance .

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Salut!

I've moved your post to the France branch as you'll get faster/more accurate responses here (where people are actually in France and can tell you how things work) than on the UK branch.

Good luck in your quest to find a retirement life in France! :)

Reactions: Slider

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
We've got a number of Brits in France here who can fill in the details, but generally speaking you won't be eligible for an S-1 to transfer over your health care entitlement until you reach the retirement age for the UK national pension. And, I believe you may need to show at least 3 months of residence in France (with some form of health coverage) before you can put in your application for the French plan. Getting registered can take a few months, so probably safest to plan on six months to a year of private health cover just to be sure.

However, someone with experience with the British side of this should be along shortly with more information.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Basically yes you can join the French healthcare system after 3 months residence in France.AS long as you have all the necessary paperwork the process is actually straightforward You will need passports proof of residence eg utility bill birth certificate(the LONG version) and for your wife a marriage certificate.You will need initially to show that you have a household income of approx €9600 but be aware that the cotisations may be based on your previous years income so you will need your P45s .However there is a suggestion that anyone on a pension what ever the source may not have to pay for healthcare in France other than the top up mutuelle.When you reach the uk state pension age you can apply for an S1 from the UK which means the UK is paying for your treatment when looking qt the the French system forget everything about the NHS it is like co;mparing apples qnd pears,

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
PS Forgot to add that when you go to CPAM you need to describe yourself as an "inactif" and not "retraité" . You will need to think about private cover for the period before you can join the French Health System I am not surprised you are confused as there is so much out of date and incorrect info out there which is why a forum like this is invaluable as you are getting info from people who are actually doing it

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Yes, Crabbers, quite right. I could describe, in detail, how I entered the Fr health system in 2001. The rules both in the UK and France have changed a great deal since then, so my knowledge is useless.

However, once in the Fr health system I think Slider will find it an experience after the NHS.

DejW

PS Forgot to add that when you go to CPAM you need to describe yourself as an "inactif" and not "retraité" . You will need to think about private cover for the period before you can join the French Health System I am not surprised you are confused as there is so much out of date and incorrect info out there which is why a forum like this is invaluable as you are getting info from people who are actually doing it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts